1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVP642 Clarification

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by codyman, Aug 16, 2004.

1. codyman

codyman Member

I've been looking for an inexpensive DVD Player that still packs a punch. The DVP642 seems to do just that after reading reviews. However, all this DVD-R/W stuff worries me. I am an avid dvd-r user who only uses dvd-r. The thought that I can't play back these dvd-r's worries me and makes me not want to get this player. CompUSA says it plays DVD-R's, but Phililps says it doesn't. I've heard around that a certain firmware works, and another doesn't. What is the true deal with DVD-R on this player? Is there a firmware update to fix it? Is there a hack? etc. etc. I hope this post can clear things up for not only me but others.

2. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

I too am a user who only burns -R discs, and this player played them fine for me.
    Until 4 nights ago. Then it just decided to stop playing DVD's all together. But I seem to have an isolated problem. I recomend the player, if I cant fix mine I will be buying another one.

3. codyman

codyman Member

Sorry to here about your player.... is it still under warranty? Anyways Amazon has a deal where the player is like 66 bucks + free shipping + no tax I think. I think I'm going to try it because I already have a $50 dollar gift certificate for amazon anyways so for $16 bucks I might as well try it. If it doesn't work with my DVD-R's I'll ship it back saying it doesn't work as advertise because right on Amazon's site it says, and I quote:
    Product Description
    Philips DVD Player, 3.2 Progressive Scan, Plays DVD, ------>DVD-R<------, DVD+RW, Mpeg4, DIVX4
    :)
    Thanks