1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVP642 - Mpeg2 files on a DVD won't play

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by tontonel, Aug 23, 2004.

1. tontonel

tontonel Member

Hi guys !

I just got the Philips DVP642 player from CompUsa in San Jose for $69. It plays most of the divx files.

The problem is here: I burned 4-5 mpeg2 files (I have extracted them from SVCD-s) ranging from 300MB to 700MB on a DVD+RW and my philips dvd player won't play them at all. I can see the files on screen and browse, but it just doesn't play them. If I burn the original SVCD it works fine !

What is the problem ??
    I hate to burn a "3 cd-s svcd movie" on 3 cd-s, instead of burning those 3 mpeg2 files on a single DVD.

Any help would be appreciated !

2. tontonel

tontonel Member

One more problem !

I have a DVD with about 45 episodes of Sex and the City. The philips playes all fine (divx, xvid, mpeg, even asf!) exept 3 files that are played with perfect picture, but no audio. I looked at the files's codec with "Gspot codec info" and I see PCM codec for those 3 files that have no audio un my philips. On the computer they work fine. It seems that the player playes all the mpeg audio streams within movies but doesn't play the PCM audio... I know that PCM is the simplest codec and it's played by any device.
    Why the philips dvp642 doesn't play the audio on those avi files?
    Here is one of the file's codec info:

AVI File Details
    ========================================
    Name.........: SATC - 508 - I Love a Charade.avi
    Filesize.....: 147 MB (or 150,992 KB or 154,615,808 bytes)
    Runtime......: 00:29:53 (53,743 fr)
    Video Codec..: DivX 5.0
    Video Bitrate: 506 kb/s
    Audio Codec..: PCM Audio
    Audio Bitrate: 176 kb/s, monophonic
    Frame Size...: 360x240 (1.50:1) [=3:2]

3. wyntre

wyntre Guest

How are you extracting your SVCD mpeg's? I had a simliar problem when mounting the image and just pulling the AVSEQ1 file from the folder. I solved this by using Isobuster and using "Extrat but FILTER using only M2F2Mpeg frames". This brings the file size down to about 700 MB so you can fit about 6 SVCD Mpegs on one disk.

Not sure about your other problem with the audio. There is one "universal" fix for a lot of things with this player: During playback, hit the System Menu button and then go back to the movie. Somehow this resets the decompression routine and many files play correctly.

One more thing. What firmware version are you using for the DVP-642? There is a Version 0531 available from Phillips (see link below). I have read mixed reviews about wheter this is an improvement over the original version. Mine plays fine with it, although it is still not perfect. Not sure if you can roll it back. As with any update, use at your own risk, although this one will not void your warranty.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/glo...A&subCatId=DVD_PLAYERS_SU&productId=DVP642_17

4. amxhunter

amxhunter Guest

I contacted Philips, they are in Malaysia, observing Pacific time , 1-800-531-0039. Same problem, won't play mpeg2 files like it says it will. More of Us need to call them and ask for help.

they said do the update.

I did , NO Change. Gonna call them again. I bought this player to play MPEG2 files not Divx.

My MPEGS on the DVD play GREAT on a PC. So why Cant I get them to play on this 642/37 ?????

By the Way, the Mpegs are recorded off a TV tuner card, streaming mpg is the only output I have a choice of.

5. wyntre

wyntre Guest

Sorry about the lousy link above - didn't notice the session id when I posted.

Anyway, just go to http://www.philips.com and go to Consumer Products and follow the links to the DVD players for the firmware update.

6. amxhunter

amxhunter Guest

Did, It does not help.

7. wyntre

wyntre Guest

amxhunter - Have you eliminated your capture card/encoder as a possible source? Try some MPEG's that you did not create yourself and see if those work. If you can get those to work (remeber to try filtering), then perhaps you could look for some updates to your capture card and or encoding software. Although I do not have a capture card myself, I have read many posts about how different cards can capture with settings/formats that do not conform 100% to standards.

That being said, the DVP-642 should still be able to handle MPEG-2 better than it does. The same files I have to filter M2F2 frames (see above post) work just fine without filtering on my Norcent DP300!

8. tontonel

tontonel Member

The problem with svcd .bin images is solved like you said by selecting when you extract the mpeg "Extrat but FILTER using only M2F2Mpeg frames".
    After that I can play them all on my Philips
    Thks guys