1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle Edition: VOB -- DV & editing?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by EsJo, Oct 30, 2007.

1. EsJo

EsJo Member

My parents recently took a bunch of (really old -- like from the 50s) home movies to this shop that put them onto DVD. Now, my mom would like some music and menus for these discs. And then be able to give it back to them to play.

I have Pinnacle Edition DV and Pinnacle DVD-Pro Impression on my computer but they won't edit VOB files (Impression will import it (and then screw up), Edition won't even do that). I really want to avoid re-encoding these files because they're pretty low quality to begin with (being such old movies) but it seems Pinnacle will only recognize DV files. (Should have figured that one...) If I take a DV from VOB, if there much loss? (I would assume it's more of a backwards step, since as far as I learnt, DV is higher quality than MPEG/VOB.... But I can't see a way for Edition to recognize anything BUT DV files.)

It should be something simple, but I am just completely missing how to do this. I'm not even sure if those Pinnacle programs will work for what I need.

How would I go about simply adding music and menus to a pre-existing dvd? Preferably with Pinnacle if possible... But I'm open to suggestions since I'm REALLY quite new to this kind of video editing/DVD authoring.

I've managed to convert a VOB file to an AVI that will play in Impression with the Panasonic DV codec + virtualdub, but that's quite a process just to put some music on a DVD... I was hoping for something simpler. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

I think you need to Buy "KEYS" to import DVD Files into Pinny. I think its a 5.1 and a 2 channel Key code. (just like the mpeg code you got when you registered your Pinnacle product.

I also think the Material has to be under 2 hours.