1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 106D Writing at 1X with NERO 6xx

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by manosf, Mar 2, 2004.

1. manosf

manosf Member

Please could anyone tell me why (or what is wrong) with my Pioneer DVD-106D and the Nero 6 copy's at 1X speed? I have no problems when writing a cd but creating a DVD copy always is writen at 1X and NERO does not supply any other other speed indication except from 1X.
    Anyone any info about that ?
    Thanx

2. daba

daba Guest

In order to burn at 4X, you need a 4X burner (such as the 106) and a 4X disc...

What disc do you use ? Are they rated 4X ? (should be written on the disc)

3. manosf

manosf Member

Of course. I use Verbatime rated 4x but also I have tryed other ranging from EL CHEAPO to quite expencive ones (like X-fer 15$ each) but nothing....

Any ideas?

4. daba

daba Guest

Sorry, no idea.

If I insert a Maxell DVD-R 4X disc in my 106 burner then launch Nero (5.5 or 6.3), it offers me 1X, 2X and 4X burning speed.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2004
  5. manosf

manosf Member

Thanks on that. The funny thing is that when I use the same DVD disks for raw data copy (various files from my drives) I can write at 4X. The problem starts when I start a DVD Video recording session. Crazy Ahh.....

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi manosf, I know that some Pioneer drives come with a locked 2x rip speed that can be unlocked to 12x with a firmware hack. But I don't think that should cause you to be locked at a 1x burn. Just to be sure, see if there is a newer firmware version than you now have for the drive.
    Last time I checked it was version 1.08.

Jerry

7. Deznaj

Deznaj Regular member

I have about the same problem with my new Plextor PX-708A in combination with Nero 6.3.0.2.

When burning a DVD (Nashua 4x DVD+R) the only possible option I have is burning at 2,4x (???) for a normal data-DVD. Does anybody know what to do?

8. malum

malum Regular member

Your IDE channels are probably set to PIO, they need to be set to DMA.
    You do this in the device manager, select the IDE controller and go to advanced settings.

If you are running XP it may not let you, if this is the case just un-install the IDE controller and reboot to let windows pick it up again, which should sort you out

9. manosf

manosf Member

Thanx for the responce. To make some things clear, the firmware that the DVD has is Ver 1.08a (with a patch). The DVD is installed on a HPT 372 adapter with the correct cables and in mode ULTRA 133 (tryed also on the onboard IDE channels with the same results). The MB is QDI, CPU 2,6, RAM 2GB, Hitachi DVD-rom, 4200 VGA, some 600 GB on HD space (about 220GB of that on SCSI U160 Adaptec Ctrl) etc. all things running on latest Bios-Firmware-updates etc.The OS is XP Corporate edition Ver 06.02.01.01 with updates up to 28/01/2004.
    Thats why this problem makes me crazy... I can't find what is wrong!!!!!
    Thanx
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dum Vivimus Vivamus[/small]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  10. malum

malum Regular member

All that info would have been quite handy in the first post !

Have you tried other burning software?
    Updating the ASPI layer?

11. manosf

manosf Member

Yes that info would have been handy posted in first place, sorry for that, but I am a system engineer for some 15 years now (MCS-CE) but this is the first time that I join a forum (strange eh...) and I am not familiar with some rules. To get back the need for copying DVD's started only resently (I sayd what the .... I will collect some good movies that I rent all the time) so I start messing with things unfamiliar to me (I usualy work on security for networks and in general IP things). And yes been there done that. I even try Easy CD-DVD Creator, Disk Jaggler, CloneCD, Copy Pro, Pinnacle, everything from legal cd's (my company's cds) and some others that I dont remember.Some of them worked but would not recognice my drive, others were no good (like Easy cd-dvd Creator) and others were not very well writen and consumed all the resourses from the system. The Support from pionner told me that as the DVD is working, is working, so here I am.

Thanx
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dum Vivimus Vivamus[/small]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  12. daba

daba Guest

Well, if you can burn at 4X with Nero using a DVD-Data session, just do so with DVD-Video compliant settings.

I used to go that way with Nero 5.5 because the DVD-Video settings were not really DVD-Video compliant...

Nero 6.3 works properly in DVD-Video mode so I don't use the DVD-Data mode anymore. But I tried (just for fun) and Nero warned me the disc would not be DVD-Video compliant. I burned it anyway and indeed I was not able to play it in my home player.

But I guess it's possible to burn a DVD-Video compliant disc using the DVD-Data mode with Nero 6.3. And if not, you could downgrade to Nero 5.5.10.42.

13. manosf

manosf Member

Thanx on that
    I will try it today and get back for more( or with more).

14. manosf

manosf Member

I am Back. It seems that works only with Maxxel DVD - R reted at 4x. Even when using the same brand but DVD's rated 2X it writes at 1x.

Any way Thanx all of you for your efford.

15. Rip&Burn

Rip&Burn Member

Anyone know hot to get to IDE channels using Windows ME as I have the same problem I have a TDK 4x that only writes DVD's at 1x.

16. malum

malum Regular member

I don't use ME, but in the device manager I imagine (windows key and pause/break key)

Sometimes you need to enable DMA in the BIOS

17. Rip&Burn

Rip&Burn Member

Hmm Bios a lil too complicated for me.......Tnx for the help though..I just dont see it in my device manager