1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer A106 combo drive backing up game CD'S

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by lsdod, Jan 18, 2004.

1. lsdod

lsdod Member

Ok. I recent bought a Pioneer a106d dvd/cd writer combo unit. How does this fare when backing up 1:1 games with latest copy protection?? Will it be able to have any success? I also have a much older RICOH MP7163A 16*10*32 drive (its about 3 years old), it was very well rated at the time, but that don't mean much now, which would i be better of with? Ironically they both burn at the same speed. (ironic cause when i bought the pioneer EVERY other brand there burned cd's at at least 24x some 48x and i wanted something faster !)

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

The Pioneer a106d is a "1 sheep burner" and you'll need emualtion to play backups of Safedisc pc game protection. The drive "should" do well backing up "most" SecuROM pc protected games with the exception of SecuROM 4.85& up. Consider testing your Pioneer by trying to backup Call Of Duty (Safedisc 3.1) and Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne (SecuROM 4.85). I don't know how well Pioneer drives can read Safedisc cd protection..Your Ricoh used to be a great burner in the "ole school days" but not a Safedisc killer. Depends on the user and if emulation doesn't mean a thing as long as they can play their backups.

Recommended 2 sheep cd burners:
    1) Plex Premium (52\32\52x)
    2) Asus 52x
    3) Lite ON 52x
    ==============================================
    Recommended 2 sheep dvd burners:
    1) Plextor PX-708A(8x\dual)
    2) Lite ON LDW 811S(8x\dual)
    3) Lite ON LDW-411S(4x\dual)

===============================================
    The Good, Bad& Ugly
    1) Lite ON is the most affordable drive(s)
    2) Lite ON doesn't have VariRec technology.
    3) Plextor drives are expensive
    4) Plextor Premium& Plextor PX-708A has "VariRec" , PowerRec& GigaRec technology.
    VariRec is a "special write feature" for making backups of SecuROM pc game protection as NO other burner has this. (at present)

Shoey :)
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Afterdawn forum rules
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712,CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+,Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700),nVidia GeForce FX5600(256MB DDR),Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd,WD 80 gig external USB 2.0 [/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2004