1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-533 PAL/NTSC playback problems...

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by designck, Dec 29, 2002.

1. designck

designck Member

I recently got a Pioneer DV-533 DVD player with zone-free feature so I could play my pre-USA immigration DVD's and find that the PAL playback on my TV is not working properly: The picture is black and white and shifted down on the screen, though the sound is fine. So far I have not been able to find a reason or solution for this. The TV set is able to play PAL videos from my multizone VCR, so I doubt it is the TV set that is causing the problem. Anyone have any bright ideas as to what I am not doing or something I could still do to solve this? Help would be much appreciated...

2. daveee

daveee Member

Hi. I had a similar problem with my DV-355. I couldnt play NTSC discs on my tv. I could get perfect sound but the picture was how you described it. I found something in the manual about older TV's not having V-Hold- so it could be your TV set. If this doesnt work, the way to change the DVD mode from PAL->NTSC->AUTO
    is by holding down the -> FastForward button when the player is off, then hit the power while pressing -> this changes your players play mode. Hope this helps a bit.

3. designck

designck Member

Hi Daveee... thanks for the feedback. I actually found out today that my TV is at fault.... even though I thought it was a multisystem, it is not... the multisystem VCR I have actually does all the decoding internally, so by the time the signal reaches the TV it is already converted. Thus, because the DVD does not decode it just plays back what's coming from it, the signal is still received as PAL and the TV does not know what to do with it. So, I guess the next 'present to myself' will have to be a new multi system TV. Oh well... there goes another couple of hundred : ) Thanks again anyhow for your feedback. Happy new year!