1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playback problems

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by steven01, Oct 21, 2003.

1. steven01

steven01 Member

I have an .avi movie when I play it it has two black bars one on top and one on the bottom my computer screen is only 13 inch's so it makes watching it difficult so how do I remove the black bars?

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Removing the black bars wont increase the size of the picture. Im pretty sure that whoever encoded the movie didnt crop the bars beforehand, which is pretty stupid...

Also if you want to remove the black bars youll have to re-encode the movie and that will result in lower quality...

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Ermm.... black bars.... widescreen?

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Thats what I was thinking...seems pretty odd for someone to leave those in.

5. steven01

steven01 Member

I have tried DivXG400 and Bicubic Resize Filter, none of them worked. I really don't want to re-encode the whole movie I have a few other movies with the same problem. it would take to long to re-encode them all and they would lose quality, isn't there some program that would fix it?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Ive never tried this player http://www.bsplayer.org/ but I read that it enables you to resize the movie window hopefully getting rid of the black borders.

7. steven01

steven01 Member

Thanks I'll give it a try.

8. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Black borders are widescreen format. Its easier to encode widescreen movies because you can cut out the black bars and have only 2/3 of the screen to actually encode. That doesnt take the black bars out however. In order to do that you need to encode the movie in 4:3 format, not 16:9. Now reincoding is not a good option because the quality turns to drivel. Im not familiar with the mechanics of resizing so i cant say if there's a player that will resize a 16:9 movie so it will take up the entire screen. My suggestion, get a bigger monitor, they are pretty cheap nowadays. You can probably get a solid 19 inch for under 200 on ebay probably. Even in the store, 17 inch crt's are pretty cheap.