1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Comment

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by gkrshnn, Mar 26, 2003.

1. gkrshnn

gkrshnn Member

I made my first DVD yesterday. I captured 2 hrs worth of Britcom from channel 2 and tried to burn them on a single DVD (4.7 GB). Each Britcom was about 30 mins long and I had 4 of those. Much to my surprise, I was informed that there wasn’t adequate space on the DVD!! The DVD case said it could fit up to 2 hours! Anyway, I took out 1 program (30 mins) and tried to burn the other three (1 hr and 30 mins). Then I was told there was some buffer over/under run. Not knowing what that was all about, I took out another 30 mins worth of video. I then burned an hour’s worth (2 episodes) of my favorite comedy. What was interesting was that the resulting DVD was worse than my SVCDs that contain similar programs. Is this an ususal experience or did I not do something correctly. Please comment._X_X_X_X_X_[small]gkrshnn[/small]

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Well, you have multiple issues. So where to start... Without knowing exactly what you did to create your DVD, I can only give you some general tips. The size of the video depends largely on the bitrate the video and audio were created. This depends on the settings of the application you used to capture/encode the video. Also the capture-hardware and mpeg2 encoder will affect the quality of your video. And, encoding the audio as PCM can also result in BIG files - use mp2 or ac3 format.

CCE is a good encoder, and the 'basic' version is now available at a very affordable price. tmpegenc is also good, if your budget is tight.

Download some of the bitrate calculators available from this site, and try eperimenting with different encoder settings. You should be able to fit 2-hours worth of video without losing much quality.

Rgds,
    jnihil.