1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP ME! NT NIGHTMARE!!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by egan, Jul 31, 2003.

1. egan

egan Member

Hi,

I would be so glad if someone could help me with a problem I've created on my computer running NT with an upgrade to xp.

I brought it home from work the other day where it's been on a network (university). Until now, I've been able to log into my NT account using the username and password supplied to me by the university.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying to network the machine to my laptop using a crossover cable. Given I have no experience in doing this I thought I might play around with the machine and here's what I did:

I right clicked My Computer and went to properties and then computer name. I then clicked the Network ID button and selected the 'This computer is for home use and is not part of a business network' option. I then restarted the machine to find that it will not accept my username and password.

Can anyone help? Is there a way of putting it back the wya it was without logging on??

Thanks in advance,

Egan

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

Try logging on as administrator if you know the local administrator password or with your username/password on the local pc instead of the domain. Do you get three boxes on startup, a username, password, and domain box? Click the down arrow on the third and make sure it is set to log on to the local pc.

Changing the computer name on an NT network is not something you want to do. The server that authenticates your login also has an account for that computer name as well. When you told it that it was for home use it won't be able to log back on to the domain without a domain administrator adding it back in. Even if you get in on the local pc and rename it back, it still won't connect to the domain. On an NT network the computer has to have an account as well as the user. When you renamed it, that broke the link for the computer account. When the account is added a unique security identifier (SID) is created for that pc and that is what will be different even if you name it back. It will generate another new one that won't match the one on the server for that name.

Bottom line is that you can probably still get into the local pc by logging on locally, but to get it back on the network you will require the administrators help.

3. egan

egan Member

As a newcomer to Afterdawn I am surprised how helpful people like yourselves can be for free!
    I've managed to obtain the Admin user/pass from the Administrator (you wouldn't believe what it was!), is it possible for me to reinstate the personalised settings for my old account?

Thank you so much for your help!

Egan Welch

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

You can probably get back some of them, things like your favorites or start menu icons and desktop icons. Check in your Documents and Settings directory on the C: drive. You should have a profile under there with your old settings for those in a directory with your username. Since you was on a domain before, the profile might be named username.domain. You can copy the Favorites over to whatever your new profile is.