1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLEASE HELP ME - Trying to burn Mpeg to VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Trentant, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Trentant

Trentant Guest

Hi, I us Nero to burn my mpeg's to vcd. When I used to drop & drag my mpeg's into the new compilation window to copy I would have 3 options, something like:
    1. turn standard encoding off
    2. encode
    3. _______ (Some other option)
    For some reason I now don't get these options when I drag my Mepg's over before burning, it now just goes straight to encoding mode when I start to burn? This does not always play properly my VCD's on my DVD player and I sometimes have to take one of the options to not encode the VCD.
    So, my 2 questions are - How can I get these options to appear again? & why do I sometimes need to not encode to have them play properly in my DVD Player??

2. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

when you create a new VCD compilation in Nero, you will have different tabs across the top.. namely:

Video CD | Menu | ISO | Label | Dates | Misc | Burn

you need to go to the Video CD tab, and uncheck "Create standard compliant CD"

3. Trentant

Trentant Guest

Thank you so much for your help. I have another very simple question for you I'm sure. What is the main difference between VCD and SVCD? Which would be best simply for burning mpeg's such as filmclips to play on my DVD Player?
    Thank you again.

4. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

SVCD takes more time to encode, but has a better quality picture. If you are encoding directly from DVD to (S)VCD, then you would be better off going with SVCD, but otherwise VCD works well for downloaded AVI movies, downloaded music videos, etc.

The main difference is with the quality, which is noticable only when the source video is high quality.

Hope this helps.