1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help, my XviD AVI's are skipping

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by deadonthe, Mar 30, 2005.

1. deadonthe

deadonthe Guest

i have a few episodes of one of my fav shows on my comp,they are roughly 140mb each and all encoded in XviD and recently for no reason(or no reason obvious to me) the video during playback has started to skip immesnely. The audio still plays normaly, but the video acts as if its haveing a ceasure, skipping between frames but basicaly still going in a forward direction. I have no idea why this would be, because last week these AVI's were working fine.

If anyone could offer any advice i would apreciate it, thanks.

2. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

Just an idea that would'nt hurt, trying defraging your harddrive.

3. Spunk-M

Spunk-M Member

I have the same problem occasionally with xvid content, and can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that it is not an issue with defraging. I have found that in some instances it will clear up after rebooting, but not with all content. The stutter is as though it was taking every other five frames and shifting them ten frames earlier, so playback would appear as something like:
    [bold]06-07-08-09-10-[/bold]01-02-03-04-05-[bold]16-17-18-19-20-[/bold]11-12-13-14-15-[bold]26-27-28-29-30-[/bold]21-22-23-24...

It appears to me to happen more at a 3 or 4 frame stutter, but I'm not certain. It's a very odd frame sorting issue that is consitant to the file (except for cases when rebooting helps) and incredibly annoying, although with some effort it's possible to view and get past it (ibuprofen helps). Different players yield the same result. I have a couple more clues to this, but no answers... I wish i knew enough to help. Perhaps there are newer versions of the Xvid codec to try installing?

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes, this is the bizarre part isn't it, LoL :^)
    You know that file was fine when you viewed it, but now you wish to show it to someone - and it's fooked up!
    Well, you must set your MPEG4 codec's decoder post-processing options...
    If you have DivX, FFDShow, and XviD all installed, you sometimes need GSpot to tell you how your system is decoding the file.
    Whatever is being used as the default, setup the post-processing to match your A/V horsepower.
    More is better (but not if causing playback jerkiness).
    Hypothetical situation: suppose your post-proc was all cranked up, you haven't re-booted in 7 hours, you have recent spyware infections, your casefans are all clogged, your CPU and HDs are smokin' and you've been meaning to upgrade to 512MB for a while now...
    you are not going to get the smooth playback you enjoyed last week after you had just defragged & re-booted.
    And, how are you guys playing-back, from harddisk or optical drive?
    If you're watching AVI from a CD or DVD, this is a different matter, and jerky stutter is not uncommon in AVIs that have been improperly interleaved.
    These will play okay from HD, but break down when viewed from CD - their audio is not interleaved every 1 video frame.
    These files can be easily re-interleaved with no loss of quality at all (but they may grow a coupla MBs larger).
    Hope this helps,
    Regards

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005