1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by AngelaMag, Mar 16, 2005.

1. AngelaMag

AngelaMag Guest

HI im a newbie..just purchased a Sony DVD+R dual layer cd burner(internal) ...installing it into my pc seems to be the easiest part so far..i have downloaded the dvd decrypter..but after running that a few times i am still lost...is there a step by step quide i could follow>? im trying to burn the movie Collateral..which is bigger then 4.6mb..please help and ty..angela

2. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Try this site for full guide to backing up DVD

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

It explains all. You need to use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Look at the software section at top of page.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  3. AngelaMag

AngelaMag Guest

tyvm for your quick response...im there now..WISH me luck!!!

4. AngelaMag

AngelaMag Guest

Thanks so much I succesfully burned the DVD~~~!!!...antoher question..is there anyway to incread read and write speeds? My burner did read and write both at 1.4 x's,kinda slow..anyway to increase it? Angela

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Might be stuck in PIO mode. Do a search on switching to DMA. You want to be in DMA mode or UDMA (Ultra DMA), not PIO.

Or for some reason your burn speed in the program you are burning with might be set at 1.4x or minimum or something like that.

6. AngelaMag

AngelaMag Guest

i did the dma search and did as asked..uninstalled the driver and reboot...no change..i am burning cds directly with the dvd decrypter program but i do have nero installed....any other suggetstions?

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Rather than uninstalling the device, uninstall the controller instead........

Check your DMA settings in device manager, it sounds like they maybe set on PIO Mode.

Right click My Computer
    Click on Properties
    Click on Hardware
    Click on Device Manager
    Click on the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller
    Double click on either Primary or secondary (dependant on which channel your burner is connected to)
    Click on the advanced settings.
    Then look in the transfer mode for your device, it should say DMA if available.
    Then in the current transfer setting it should say Ultra DMA Mode etc.

If it says, PIO Mode (in the current transfer window), then uninstall that IDE controller, reboot.
    Windows will then reinstall it and then go back to it and check that the PIO Mode has now changed back to Ultra DMA etc.

Hope this helps.........

Also what speed rating are the discs that you are using - 2x, 4x, 8x etc, and are they rw's?

If they are rw's, they are not developed enough to be able to obtain high speeds like the -r, +r etc.......

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  8. AngelaMag

AngelaMag Guest

im using dony dvd-r disks..could this be the main problem...?

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL, I take it you mean Sony discs, or do [bold]dony[/bold] ones really exist?

All depends on the speed rating of them, and also whether they are rw's as opposed to standard -r/+r.

Did you uninstall the IDE controller that your burner is connected to and reboot?

It maybe worth trying a different brand.

10. AngelaMag

AngelaMag Guest

guess i should invest in a spell checker.(lol)...there just plain SONY dvd-r ...does not say anything about X's speed on the package...i did as suggested unistalling the controller..no luck..maybe i should just be greatful im burning the DVDs and deal with the x1.4 read and write speed,,lol..angela

11. arniebear

arniebear Active member

You could try burning a +r disk. Also, if you have a firewall up or antivirus disable maybe this will speed up the process.

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Sony has the 4x/1x-4x/and 1x-8x speeds. The 1x-8x speeds are some of their better media.I really like the +1x to 8x.

If you have a local staples,they are on sale for $10 for a spindle of 25.If you can get a hold of a 3 or 5 pack of maxell,they are pretty good too.

[Sony DVD+R dual layer cd burner(internal)]
    What is the actual model # of this burner?

[do dony ones really exist? ] These discs are usually next to the mammarex's at odd lots,lol

Good Luck

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can download and install this program
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

That will tell you a little more about those disks. COuld be the disks themselves wont burn any faster?

14. AngelaMag

AngelaMag Guest

thanks for info...its a SONY DVD/CD ReWRITABLE DRIVE
    DRU-710A...ATAPI/EIDE INTERAL

15. AngelaMag

AngelaMag Guest

just wondering if my problem could be caused when i installed the burner into my comp...maybe i used slave when i should have used master or visa versa...cant remember which one i used..angela

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If that were the case your drive wouldn't be working at all...

17. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Is anything else on connected to the same IDE, ie cdrom or rewriter etc.

If so, disconnect that device, and set your burner to MASTER and retry it and see if this improves the speed.
    If it does, then reconnect the other device and set that as slave - and does it work now?

Also as bbmayo suggested, download that program and check to see what discs you have (strangly) it may appear that you are infact using 1x discs.

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I will try explain the difference between "master" and "slave"
    Despite the hierarchical-sounding names of "master" and "slave", the master drive does not have any special status compared to the slave one; they are really equals in most respects. The slave drive doesn't rely on the master drive for its operation or anything like that, despite the names (which are poorly-chosen--in the standards the master is usually just "drive 0" and the slave "drive 1"). The only practical difference between master and slave is that the PC considers the master "first" and the slave "second" in general terms. For example, DOS/Windows will assign drive letters to the master drive before the slave drive. If you have a master and slave on the primary IDE channel and each has only one regular, primary partition, the master will be "C:" and the slave "D:". This means that the master drive (on the primary channel) is the one that is booted, and not the slave.
    So you see there really isn't any difference, but us computer geeks have just been so used to the old way of doing thing's that the process of hooking up drives is kind of a habit. With the newer DMA/Ultra DMA out you are supposed to hook the master drive up to the end of the cable (black end) and the slave in the middle (gray end) where on the older PIo mode drives you would put the master on the middle and the slave on the end.
    Another note; If you are using DMA mode you really need to be using an 80 wire IDE cable (should have Blue, Gray, & Black connector) This is the standard for DMA so if you are using the older 40 wire cable this could be your problem also.
    Anyway to use cable select you need a special cable, and these are of course non-standard, making them a special purchase. Also, many people don't understand cable select, nor do they realize it needs a special cable. If you set both drives to "CS" and then use them on a regular (non-cable-select) IDE cable, both drives will configure themselves as "master", causing a configuration conflict.