1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please recommend a new harddrive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Auslander, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

Okay, i have an HP compie (no laughs, please, lol) and i use it basically for everything. i live on the thing, lol. what i want to do to it is add a second, small hdd. it currently has an 80 GB one, and seeing as it's on a 2600+ and i won't be overclocking, i don't think it could handle a large one anyway. the guts will be goin into a new case with a 400 psu soon, so power isn't a problem. i'm thinking around 20 to 30 GB, at 10,000 or 15,000 rpm. i want this drive soully for games and to copy media to for editing and burning. stuff will be added and deleted on this drive all the time. also, will i need to worry about cooling or anyting else? with this all said, please post away!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well the only drive that comes to mind is the Seagate 36.7GB Ultra320 SCA 80-Pin 15K -- I believe there is a 10K ATA drive available but I can't remember the model name/make but I suspect it is a Hitatchi.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

MaxPC did a test where the Western Digital 74GB SATA Raptor beat out the Maxtor 10K Atlas SCSI.

The Raptor goes for $205 at newegg and SATA controller cards are available for $30 to $40.

Just a thought although Praetor has much more hands on experience than I :)

4. Praetor

The though of the 74GB Raptor did occur to me however it wasnt in the desired size range -- not sure if they (still) make a ~37GB model of the Raptor -- and if it was 10K or not.

By putting the 10K/15K restriction on the drives it virtually narrows the field down to SCSI only (with some minor exceptions) :)

I do recall reading that article (and crying out in joy) since I'm not a big fan of SCSI (too much bloody hassle)

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

thnx for the replies! there's no good drives down around 20 GB or so? i don't need/want a large drive. lol, however, i'll look into what you have recommended.

6. Praetor

There are good drives at the 20GB weight divison but your restriction on 10K or 15K says otherwise. The smallest (easily available) 10K/15K HDD is the Raptor 36.7GB.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if i went with the Raptor, are there any modifications i would have to make? i've heard hdds of that rpm need extra cooling or something.

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The 36.7GB Raptor (10K) is still available and a lot cheaper than it's big brother at $111.

I don't believe extra cooling would be necessary if you're able to get decent airflow around the drive. If you have minimal airflow through your case or the Raptor gets stuffed between two other drives then it'd be time for concern.

Here's a link to the Raptor:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-200&depa=1

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  9. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I've got a 36.6 gig raptor, I've not noticed it to get much hotter than my 7200 rpm 40 gig. I didn't use any special cooling for the drive, I have an Antec Sonata case, and anyone who knows about these realizes that they can only have two fans, so I have a stealth fan pulling air from the front of the case past the hard drives, I suppose it aids in cooling the raptor, but before I had the second fan I noticed no problems. Auslander you might want to concider the raptor, but it is pricey, especially if you find your motherboard doesn't support serial ata. If you really want to go with performance then Praetor's suggestion of the 15k rpm scsi drive is the best choice, albeit the most expensive.

10. Praetor

What are the temps? :) Without cooling after 100 hours of intensive use my hdds chill at 55ºC but with cooling they never go past 35ºC and with good cooling, rarely above 32ºC -- thats a big difference :)

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Forget the rest and get a 74 gig raptor, no wait get two of then and run a raid.

12. Praetor

Why when i can get Hitachi's 400GB drives? :) I look at 74GB and I see a big imaginary sticker that says "3 days"

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I know a lot of guys won't agree with this, but size isn't everything. I think in terms of performance first and then size later. I prefer speed over size with the knowledge that I can keep a larger slave for storage. LOL

14. Praetor

Normally I would agree with you but what happens when 400GB has an imaginary sticker that says "1 week"? or when two 400GB drives share one that says "3 weeks"? :p

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Praetor are you using metaphor's? If I needed to I could configure several 74 gig drives in a raid that could come close to the size of the Hitachi giant. I won't get there in total size but I just can't (it's a weakeness I have) sacrifice performance for total storage. Is it me or does this train of thought sound a little preverted. LOL

16. Praetor

Multiple 400GB vs... Multiple 74GB .... hmmmmmmmmm :p Not that I have money for any of them at the present time ... but sooon.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

OK Praetor I'm with you, well almost. I can't imagine anything that I'm doing that requires that kind of storage. What I do is live multi-track recording of musical content. A larger drive would be a benefit for storage but might not be fast enough for recording and mixing. Swapping/paging could be a problem with such a large drive.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

18. Buik

Buik Regular member

Evening everyone.

Auslander wants to take the guts out of an "HP" box and put them into another one with a bigger PSU. Aren't manufacturers like HP & Compaq known for being very proprietary in their setups? How do we know that he can put everything in the new box?

Unless, of course, he is buying the new case from HP. Bleeding money out the arse that way. Then there is the warranty issue. Cracking the case voids it, if it is still in effect.

I've not seen anyone advocate EIDE Raid. I've seen SCSI & SATA posts. What is within his budget? I've got two 30gb maxtors on my raid drive (on MB). Drives cost me about $35 US about a year ago. Capacity & speed.

My MB also has SATA on it but the price of drives has not come down enough yet for that to be a consideration.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

TC

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Stretch the cash. Bargain hunting. System is not static.[/small]

19. Praetor

( 11MP photographs stored in native RAW format ) x 400 pictures/shoot x several shoots per week = no hdd space
    20GB download a day x seven days a week = no hdd space & threats of disconnect

Proprietory BIOSs for the most part rather than PSUs and mobo connections.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

HP I believe is a common IBM clone (not certain),but compaq ia totally proprietary. The only problem you should have, is with their motherboards everything else should be universal. Changing the box and the power supply should make no difference.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]