1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plexor burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by bsvogt, Apr 12, 2005.

1. bsvogt

bsvogt Member

I have a plextor 716A and at first it worked fine with just about any media. I was using prodisc and then one day it just didn't work so I tried updating my firmware and then I burned and did not work so I tried and different disc verbatium and it worked fine. So I went to buy new discs and they did not have the ones I wanted so I got fuji instead went home and burned and nothing again. Does anyone know what this could be burner bad or disc not compatitable but why did it work fine before then one day it didn't. I have only had this burner for a couple of months and if it is the burner does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of burner that I should get hopefully something not to expensive.

Thanks, B

2. Needakip

Needakip Regular member

I had this problem until i updated the firmware.

3. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

Hey BSV

I have the Plextor 716A and haven't any problems yet. It's funny you mentioned that you were having problems with Prodisc and then later bought some Fuji media and had the same problems because I just bought some Fuji printable 8X DVD-R at Sam's Club and they are actually manufactured by guess who - Prodisc. My LiteOn burner seemed to burn these without error but they skipped/pixelated during playback on my standalones. Since switching to the Plextor 716A and updating to newest firmware I havn't experienced any problems. After burning a disc I always use Plextools Professional that came with the retail package burner to do a quality test and these Fuji/Prodiscs are always Excellent-Very Good and play back on standalones just fine.

According to Plextor's website Prodisc and Fujifilm are compatible with this drive, although not on the "recommended" list. So according to my personal experience and Plextor's website disc compatiblity shouldn't be a problem. However, it is possible that not all of the discs in the pack are of the same quality, if that makes any sense? That could be a reason why the first ones worked OK and then the next would not. My Fuji disc identified as Prodisc F01, and I have read elsewhere on this site that these are not the best quality Prodisc makes.

Try to think of anything you may have changed or added to your computer during the time when you started experiencing the problem. Did you add/remove any hardware or programs that could have caused a change in your system settings? Also check to make sure your Burner is set to DMA Mode and not PIO. The only other thing I can think of off hand is that if you bought the retail box that came with the installation CD that included Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator and installed Roxio you may be having problems due to it. It has been said many times on this site that Roxio and other programs (notably Nero) don't play well together. Since you didn't mention what ripping/burning programs you were trying this is only a guess.

Hope that helps in some way. If not just keep poking around this site and I'm sure you'll find a solution.

JPC

PS - If the drive is only a couple of months old you should have warranty. Try Plextor's tech support or take it back where you bought it, get a new one and see if you have the same problems