1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor Drive Keeps Ejecting

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by eerie, Feb 26, 2005.

1. eerie

eerie Member

Hi all, this is my first post here. I just purchased a Plextor PX716A Internal DVD burner and have it mastered on my secondary IDE channel. The first thing that happened while booting up was the drive ejected. Every time that I press the eject button again to close it, it pops open in a couple seconds.

I'm running an Athlon 1.2Ghz (my Athlon 64 3500+ should be here by Monday) with Windows XP.

It shouldn't be a trojan/virus because it occurs even when I'm offline.

I can't seem to figure out how to resolve this. Any help would definitely be appreciated. Thank you all.

2. curmudge

curmudge Member

I can't speak directly to the ejecting issue, but my brand-new 716A went belly-up after only a week. Posts on VideoHelp forums run about 20%-25% negative on this drive; remaining posts very positive. This seems to indicate a certain percentage of the drives are defective.

My experience is extremely negative, esp now that I have to deal directly w/Plextor in getting the drive replaced (they are not terribly sympathetic, and very slow to respond). I bought mine from Newegg, so have no choice but to deal w/Plextor. If you bought yours at a local retailer, I'd suggest either exchanging it for a new one, or returning it and getting another brand.

Since I couldn't afford to be without a burner for the month (so far, and counting) it's taking Plextor to work out my issue, I just bought an NEC ND3520A OEM drive from Newegg for around $60. It's actually quieter than the Plextor. How it will hold up in the long run, only time will tell. But it cost half as much as the Plextor. I should add that I've had several Plextor units in the past, and this is the first time I've ever had a problem. I don't like the way the company is handling the issue.

Good luck.

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

eerie

It might very well be a defective Burner but a couple of things to try first. Do you have any sound cables connected to it or just your 4 pin power plug and also ribbon cable? If you have a sound cable try removing it and also make sure that your ribbon cable has the red lead right next to your 4 pin power plug.

4. eerie

eerie Member

I'm feeling incredibly stupid right about now >__< It seems that it wasn't anything very technical about this issue at all. It seems I didn't snap the black bezel into place very well after changing into it. I thank you guys for taking the time to help me out; it's very much appreciated. Good day. :)