1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor External DVD Burner causing constant restarts when I boot pc?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by GLcorps, May 8, 2007.

1. GLcorps

GLcorps Member

Hello everyone. I'm having problems with my PC from an External DVD burner I just purchased (Plextor PX-708UF) I have an HP 716n with Windows XP SP2. I currently have the DVD burner connected to IEEE 1394.

I normally didn't have any problems at all restarting my pc before adding the burner. After I installed the Easy CD & DVD software from Roxio & connected the burner everything turned out fine I'm able to burn data DVD's, play dvd's, etc.

The problem is once I shut off my PC & restart it I keep getting (not the bsod) but constant restarts after Windows shows Loading. It shows Windows has recovered from an error and I can't get into Safe mode or boot Windows normally, I have to press Last good known configuration for 3 times until Windows finally loads.

Like I've said before I have never had any problem with restarting PC normally until I plugged in the burner. The error log shows something with Minidump & compat.txt (or something like that), the link to Microsoft Windows error Reporting page indicates "Problem caused by Device Driver" and there is no solution.

I hope some of you may have some insight as to what I could do to help solve this problem. Thanks in Advance.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Can you use 'System Restore' to go back to the time before the problem showed - then start again with the burner?

3. GLcorps

GLcorps Member

I could probably do that, though I haven't done so yet. In the Device Manager the IEEE shows Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant. I don't know if I have to add a driver specifically for the DVD burner. I don't know how to do that.

I'm also thinking about switching from IEEE to the USB and see if there's a difference at all.

4. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

i've had the occasional various problems with external mass storage devices (usb) and such doing the same thing, generally its only usb thumb drives or sometimes my bluetooth adapter, but i've also had my external liteon do the same. although usb is very different than firewire the problem could be from the same source

i can't seem to find a a rhyme or reason to this except that it happens more often when i have all my usb slots filled. this could be due to bad usb drivers, bad usb cards etc., or even power problems

i'll try to look around for a fix/solution but for now see if just leaving it unplugged from your pc until after logon will solve the problem

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  5. GLcorps

GLcorps Member

Thanks for the tip. I actually switched the firewire to the usb connection instead, don't know if there will be a difference & I haven't yet restarted my pc yet but I will once I have to with a windows XP update or something that requires it.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you put a firewire cable in your USB connection, you just ran the risk of doing potential damage to your motherboard. :(

7. GLcorps

GLcorps Member

I actually typed it with the wrong wording. What I was trying to say was that I had the External DVD burner connected with the firwire cable, I switched to usb (which has an option to switch from the two) with the usb cable not with the firwire cable. Sorry for the confusion.

8. Sickley

Sickley Regular member

i think what he means is that he has a drive with different connection options, usb and firewire, which is quite comon.
    he wasn't putting a usb cable in any firewire connections, rather switching connection types altogether.