1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor PX-708A DVD burner speed problems

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by AyaJones, Sep 24, 2004.

1. AyaJones

AyaJones Guest

I have no problem burning DVD's with this thing other than the fact that it takes 1 hour and 20 minutes to burn a DVD !!!
    I have been unable to get it to burn faster than .8x - 1x . I have an AMD athlon cpu 1100Mhz , 512Mb DDR Ram , OS= XP professional and a 120 Gb HD . I'm using B's Gold and DVD Decrypter to burn and copy DVD's . The DVD-r media that I'm using is Memorex . I'd appreciate hearing from you all about any suggestions you might have .

Thanks ,

Aya Jones

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Wow ... that's way to long for a burn :)

Have you check to see if DMA is enabled? Is your burner's firmware up to date?

Are the files your using on an internal HD or an external HD?

3. AyaJones

AyaJones Guest

Cannot find in device manager where to toggle for DMA enable . The firmware is up to date and am very leery of using 2nd party firmware as it voids my warranty .
    The files I'm using are from the internal HD .

ie:DVD image copied to HD via plextor , then burnt to DVD using plextor. i'm reading about burn times for other people and it's a lot faster for them but there computer specs are also a lot higher ....

4. flip218

Control panel -> system -> Hardware -> Device manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> right click your primary IDE controller, then properties -> Advanced, make sure it's set to DMA. Do the same for your secondary IDE channel

5. AyaJones

AyaJones Guest

Thanks !!! primary ide had DMA enabled but secondary did not !! ( does now ) ; what about the Nvidia nforce
    MCP2 IDE controller ? Was this an XP driver or Plextor's ? My apologies for being a total noob :()

no toggle for dma enabling here only driver and resource info .

Thanks again flip218 and sorry about the double posting . Etiquette faux pas is part of my noobism .

Jones

6. flip218

If your still having problems, you could try uninstalling it. Hopefully enabling DMA will fix it.

7. AyaJones

AyaJones Guest

Sorry it took so long to reply but I'm now burning a full DVD from dvd decrypter , DVD Xcopy or DVD shrink in 18 Mins !! 1 whole hour faster !! A game goes onto CD in under 3 mins !!

Thanks a million !

I can't help wondering , why aren't those DMA settings defaulted for maximum performance .

A Jones