1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Political Cartoon or Primary Document

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DiRect, May 5, 2007.

1. DiRect

DiRect Regular member

Hello,

This is kind of an urgency, but I need a political cartoon OR a primary document relating to social change between 1896-1945. It can be related to anything, science, technology, and/or religion... it can be a political cartoon on an inventor, or a political cartoon on religion, or advances in science or technology (about maybe how they benefit society in the second industrial revolution or how they are harming society) OR how technology devastated the people in war... I need some primary document or political cartoon with ANY aspect to social change present between that time period.

Thanks a lot for your help :)!

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

i have seen some threads that are about political and religion get closed here to much of a touchy thing here, so i don't think you will get much help, have you tryed doing a google search, you will most likely find more there thain here, good luck

3. DiRect

DiRect Regular member

any idea of a keyword i can search for in google because i've been unsuccessful in trying to find something so far.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I would search google images (or some other engine) using keywords like ... cartoons of FDR ... or Cartoons of the depression ... both changed american society more than anyone or anything else, methinks. Social security, the legislation regulating banks so that people can't lose they're savings in such a disaster, the subsidized work programs which built just about every park in the country. etc.etc.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007
  5. DiRect

DiRect Regular member

unfortunately, i am bound by social change relating to science, technology, or religion.. any of those? wut keyword can i search to find a cartoon or primary document on that? :S

6. ireland

ireland Active member

a good place to start

PoliticalCartoons.com
    http://cagle.msnbc.com/politicalcartoons/

Political Cartoons

History of the 19th Century in Political Cartoons
    Political cartoons tell the history of the nineteenth century, from Napoleon Bonaparte and Waterloo through the Civil War to the Spanish-American and South African wars at the century's end. Illustrated with more than 260 political cartoons published in the United States and Europe.

American Caricatures Pertaining to the Civil War
    Seventy-nine political cartoons published as lithograph posters by Currier and Ives and other publishers on subjects ranging from the development of sectional conflict during the presidential campaign of 1856 through the Civil War and the post-war Reconstruction era.

Abraham Lincoln in Political Cartoons
    More than 80 political cartoons of Abraham Lincoln showing the evolution of his image from his first campaign for the presidency in 1860 through the Civil War to the early 1900s when his image and words figured prominently in the debate about imperialism.

Punch Cartoons on the American Civil War
    Fifty-six political cartoons about the American Civil War published in the London Punch, the leading British humor magazine, 1861-1865.
    Advertisement

Political Cartoons of Thomas Nast
    Biographical articles about Thomas Nast and more than twenty of his political cartoons, 1864-1898, documenting his campaign against the Tweed Ring and other contributions to American political culture.

Life During Wartime: Cartoons from Life Magazine, 1895-1900
    Cartoons from the original Life magazine from the 1895 start of the Cuban revolution for independence from Spain through the Spanish-American War of 1898 and the first years of the Philippine-American War.

Cartoons of Our War with Spain
    An expanded edition of Charles Nelan's 1898 book with 73 cartoons about the Spanish-American War he published in the New York Herald from December 1897 through October 1898.

and here
    http://www.boondocksnet.com/gallery/political_cartoons.html

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

How about aviation ... The wright brothers first flight was around 1900-1905; that sure has to fall into technology. Even the top of the Empire State Building was designed to accomodate blimps LOL! Aviation changed everything.

Another thing would be Thomas Edison and electricity; I don't think anyting could have changed techonology more than electricity!! And the moving picture too. The telephone. Even the automobile (my Dad who will be 101 in June tells these really comical stories about how the car was thought to be a passing fad!) There are some great pics of horses and mules pulling the earlies cars because they broke down all the time.

Or medicine too. The invention of pennicillin ... Syphillis, over the years, killed twice the number of people than the bubonic plague. We think of it now as a venerial disease, which it is, but when its so widespread as it was in the early 1900s, people are born with it, a huge element of the population has it but no way to test for it etc. Another thing in medicine was the invention of ether ... before, the had the patients drink until they passed out ... they awoke briefly when the first incisions were made then pass out again from the pain.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007
  8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

religion ... the Mormons changing their polygomy policies in 1890. Could be interesting now that we have a mormon running for president (if you're from the U.S.)