1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

port forwarding two different ip's to my router

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by olympic, Nov 10, 2004.

1. olympic

olympic Member

hi, could anyone tell me if there is some software or command that could allow me to forward 2 different ip's to my router, because at the moment it only lets me forward one ip at a time. thanks to any replies

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking because you don't forward IP addresses, just ports. Here's some general information that may answer your question (or at least help you explain the problem better).

If you're like most people, your internet connection only gives you 1 IP address. That IP address is assigned to the router that connects directly to the internet. The router then assignes non-internet IP addresses to the PCs you connect to it. They're non-internet addresses because they're most likely registered to somebody else and computers on the other side of the router (ie the internet) only see your routers address no matter what PC you're actually using.

Port forwarding allows the router to automatically send packets addressed to port X to a different computer, allowing outside computers to talk to your computer just like it had the router's IP address (this is important because they can't see your IP address). You can usually select a specific IP address or a range of IP addresses (up to all) for the remote (on the internet) computer's IP address, but only a single internal (on your network) IP address because otherwise the router wouldn't know when to send a packet to PC 1 vs PC 2. Keep in mind, the remote computer only sees the router and doesn't have any way to know this information either. This is, of course, for incoming connections. You can typically set up different forwarding for different external IP addresses on the same port (ie if the external address is x.x.x.x on this port forward it to computer 1 but if it's from x.x.x.y forward it to computer 2) but that's about it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  3. olympic

olympic Member

yeah sorry, thats wot i wanted to find out. is there a way i can forward the same ports (6881-6999 for bittorrent) to 2 different ip's on my network.

4. vurbal

I figured that's what you were looking for. Unfortunately you can't. There would have to be a way for the remote computer to tell the router which PC a packet was for, and since the remote machine thinks the router is the PC it doesn't even know.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  5. olympic

olympic Member

oh, ok well thanks for your help anyway

6. vurbal

You're welcome.