1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power problem, cpu not showing up on screen

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by chonki, Jan 14, 2007.

1. chonki

chonki Member

I was trying to fix a power problem with my video card and possibly my burner, so I was looking for the voltage on my power supply when i came across a little red switch and a sticker saying 115/230v so being stupid as i am, with the computer on i switched it from the current 115 to the 230. When i look back at my screen it was blank, so my first thought was that i had moved the monitor cable which has given me problems before, so i tried everything i could think of including turning on and off the computer and monitor in every kind of combination. I took out the little round battery on the motherboard, and I disconnected everything except for power cable and monitor cable. Still i havnt gotten anything so far and the monitor seems to still work because i connected it to my sisters laptop (the one im using now), and my computer seems to turn on with no problems

2. rogeball

rogeball Regular member

Wow. ok first of all the little red switch wont hurt the computer when its on switching it, but it wil however prevent it from starting. (i so this in school for fun when i was in high school) the 230 is a european setting, so set it back to 115. Then do not ever remove the cmos battery and unplug things with the power cable still plugged in. Put everything back adn switch back to 115 and the system should be working hopefully if you havent messed thigns up.

3. dvdsndict

dvdsndict Regular member

Well I've heard of people frying their computers by switching to 115v when their house is wired to 230v, but never the other way around. You switch it back to 115v?

4. chonki

chonki Member

I had already tried switching it back to 115 and nothing... tried it again now with and without the keyboard, mouse, usbs, etc plugged in and still not getting anything. Im thinking it could be the female monitor plug bacuse of my previous problems with it, since the monitor worked perfectly with the laptop im guessing its not the monitor

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  5. dvdsndict

dvdsndict Regular member

or an issue with your graphics card, like you said before. What was that original problem that you referenced?

6. chonki

chonki Member

When i powered up it would say that my nvidia video card was going to lower its resolution so as not to damage itself because it wasnt getting enough power

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

And you thought that flicking that little red switch would give the nVidia card more power?

Never mind. Rhetorical question.

8. chonki

chonki Member

yup haha i know it was dumb. i just thought i was a switch that regulated the max input power

9. dvdsndict

dvdsndict Regular member

No. Your power supply needs to be upgraded. How many watts is it rated at, and what brand of PSU is it?

10. chonki

chonki Member

starlogic 400w... that was my other hypothesis that maybe the psu was just slowly dying. im not seven sure how old itd be because i bought it as "gently used" not sure when it was built though... by the way when i get a new one do i also plug it into my video card and any other cards that might have an input that can be used fom the psu? because for example i just noticed that the card that my monitor plug is on has an input the same as one of the psu output cables but nothing was plugged in... im pretty sure i read somewhere that that would reduce load on the motherboard or something like that

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if vidoecard has a power connector on it but psu was not connected to it than that was your problem as videocard was not getting enough power.

12. chonki

chonki Member

oh ok, im thinking of getting another 400w or maybe a little higher, especially because im close to broke right now

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try higher wattage.

14. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Go for a higher wattage psu. Something like 500 Watts should do.
    Also you might be skint. But save up and get yourself a good brand PSU. If you dont, dont come running to us when you have to dish out £600 for a whole new comp cause your psu whent crazy and fried your computer.

I had a friend that skimped out on a PSU. His computer gave him a dramatic lights show and then smoked out the room. Hehe!! Soo the moral of the story is be safe and buy a half decent PSU!!

Lecsiy

15. chonki

chonki Member

alright, what are good brands?

16. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Try something like:

Antec, OCZ, Enermax, Seasonic, Hiper

And out of all of them my personal bias for personal reasons :) Is Hiper

But hey its your choice.

Just take my advice and dont get the extra value PSU with 1MW instead of a decent 500W!! lol

Lecsiy

17. chonki

chonki Member

ok thanks everyone

18. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Its cool and in ddp's words:

"teach and learn"