1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PowerDVD 6 Error Stops playing in the middle of movie

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by cryptlord, Mar 9, 2005.

1. cryptlord

cryptlord Member

Please anyone that can help me.. I am not new to computers and I have tried just about everything that I can think of to resolve this issue.

I have a
    Toshiba Satellite A75-S231
    w/ 1.5Gig Ram running at 3.33Ghz
    The DVD/RW drive I have is a
    Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-820S

The Problem I am having is everytime I start to play a movie in PowerDVD it gets to a point in the movie (the same point everytime) and it drops to the DVD menu screen.. And it isn't with only 1 DVD it happens with multiple DVD's.. I have tried the following:

1. I have updated the driver on the DVD-RAM drive.

2. I have removed the secondary IDE controller and the DVD_RAM drive from device manager.

3. I have tried multiple Software DVD Players Aka: WinDVD:plays Fine
    BlazeDVD: same problem as PowerDVD (drops to menu screen)
    PowerDVD 6: (Drops to menu screen after playing for a short while)

4. Tried Disableing and then reinableing DMA access to the DVD-RAM

5. Tried removing and then updateing the ASPI driver

Any Suggestions that people might have I am very Welcome to them because I have been working with computers for a long time and I have never seen anything such as this..

I am beginning to think that the drive on my Laptop is either Junk or bad.

Thanks in advance:
    John

2. cryptlord

cryptlord Member

More information on my computer: The computer is running XP Home Service Pack 2

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd-roms*

I have no idea why you posted there.

4. xenonn

xenonn Member

I have the same problem with my old toshiba sd1612 drive placed in my pundit barebone. Some time ago I have flashed its firmware with the one from the firmware page.

My new toshiba sd1912 in my desktop, going with the original fw plays dvd movies without stopping.

I tried region killer, dvd genie and region free to workaround the problem. I suspected it had something to do with my region free fw. But no solution.

Then I tried to rip the movie on hdd with dvd decrypter. Movies go without stopping when played from hdd with powerdvd. Thou I assume that it has something to do with macrovision or css - whatever they are - because dvd decrypter removes one or both.

Anyone got the idea?

5. cryptlord

cryptlord Member

As an update to my previous post.

I called toshiba and the told me that they would send me a new systemboard and cdrom.

Oh yeah and the friendly tech told me to check the toshiba Website to find out about all the issue that have occured with my computer..

I had this computer for less than 3 weeks and they were already going to send me a new motherboard and cdrom.. Sorry not interested so I returned the Notebook to the Dealer and they were going to replace it for the same notebook this is a A75-S231.. But right after they produced the new computer from the box I tested it to see if it had the same problem.. To my surprise a computer of the same model right out of the box had the same problem that mine had.. The Dealer at this point went and pulled another of the same model computers from the back and then decided that there was a problem with the whole line.

Long story short.
    I have a New Qosmio E15-AV101 which I got for 1300.00 and it retails at 2200.00 from the same dealer.

My point here and I wondered off the subject a little is that This is a known issue to toshiba and they are fixing it the best way that they can by replaceing the hardware on a BRAND NEW computer.

STAY AWAY FROM THE (A75-S231)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005