1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

probably not the right forum but noone responded in the other one

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by TimmyR41, Jan 25, 2005.

1. TimmyR41

TimmyR41 Member

ok first of i just ordered my new dvd burner its a DVD+/-RW 16X SONY DRU710A, ok now here are my questions....
    1) I am interested in backing up my dvd's and i would like to be able to play them back on my xbox and i was wondering if there was anything special i needed to do so they would be playable on the xbox (i've already read up on the games and i know you have to go through a bunch of stuff to get those to work but i'm just talking about movies right now)
    2) My drive is a dual layer drive, now with that is there any way to put more than one movie on a disk and it be playable in my xbox or another dvd drive or am i pretty much limited to one movie per disk
    and finally......
    3) any tips any of you could give me would be great, i believe i'm going to be getting nero with the burner and if not my parents have nero at home and i'll probably use that for the time being but if there is any other software you guys would recomend or just any general tips for burning dvd's and what not i would greatly appricate it.....

Thanks alot

2. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Nice free program for backing up dvd's is DVD Shrink.
    Dual Layer discs are way too expensive right now and in my opinion, not worth it.Shrink will analize your dvd and tell you how much compression is needed to backup the entire disc.If the compression is too high it will degrade the quality of the video.No need to worry, dvd shrink allows you to reauthor the disc and take out stuff like extras and previews to get the compression to an acceptable level to where you can't tell the difference.
    If you have Nero or DVD Decrypter installed, as soon as Shrink creates the backup files or image of the movie, it will automatically burn it to disc depending on the settings you select in DVD Shrink.

3. evilgit

evilgit Member

You need a Samsung (I think) drive in your Xbox to play burnt movies! This is the only type which will play burned media (including CDs). Other drives such as the thompson and phillips, which are more common will not play copied media unless the xbox is modded. I belive most Limited Edition black xboxes which came with Halo 1 and Midtown Madness 3 have the samsung drive.

Unless you have this drive in your xbox, i would highly recommend getting a new dvd player, typically a good sony which plays +/-RW, MP3 and JPEGs cost around £50 or mod your xbox. I'm not very famililar with modding, and if you arent i think that it would be more economical to simply buy a standalone dvd player what with the hassle of home modding, sourcing of chips, compatability and Xbox Live bans.

4. vixen76

vixen76 Member

i have used DVDShrink and i think it is excellent.. i am also sure that as long as you have the xbox remote control attached to your xbox it will play the copied dvd.. my drive isnt a samsung and i can play them.. i hope this helps.. if not i am more than happy to give u any further information.. enjoy..