1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem playing dvd

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by helpme07, Nov 12, 2007.

1. helpme07

helpme07 Member

burning dvds with dvd shrink and nero. have always played fine until now. they still play on my computer but i get a disk error in both my dvd players. any suggestions?

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Have you recently changed brands of discs? Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden seem to be widely compatable with standalone players. Using +R vs. -R will have an impact on compatability as well. All discs are not created equal.

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOCOENG asked some good questions, I'll add another, have you upgraded to Nero 8?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  4. helpme07

helpme07 Member

still using the same dvd pack that I have been using, however I did just download a new version of nero that works with Vista. not sure if it's 8 or not though.

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

using Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim and burning no faster than 8x max should play on about any standalone DVD player you throw them at. if you're using the DVD plus R format try booktyping the DVD-ROM for better compatibility or use the DVD dash R format.

also make sure you have the most up to date firmware for you're drive/burner, switching from 8x speed to 16x speed blank media can sometimes cause playback problems if you're drive isn't updated, check here

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Current downloads from Nero are for Nero 8, but there are downloads for obsolete software like Nero 7. Go back and see which software program you downloaded and installed. If you open the Nero program, it should tell you what you have. Open one of the Nero programs and under Help select About.

7. helpme07

helpme07 Member

tried burning with image burn and it works fine. must be the new nero. thanks for the replies everybody

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

great imgburn is very good and yes nero 8 has been causing problems. stick with nero 7 or use imgburn

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Or simply save the Shrink output to the HD and burn manually with Express. It's not as easy as an auto burn, but it takes less than a minute to set up if you're familiar with the software. For ImgBurn support, Shrink has to be modified with a different exe or some file swapping. Of course ImgBurn can do the manual burns. But Express does those. For those with the full version of Nero there's Recode. There's plenty of options.