1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with capturing video

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by smchar, Sep 28, 2004.

1. smchar

smchar Member

When I use NeroVision Express 2 to capture video, the maximum file size is 3.99gb for AVI and DV files(about 20 minutes) and 1.89 for MPEG-2 files(about 35 minutes). If I stop the capture shortly before a file reaches its maximum size, and then start capturing again(thereby creating a new file), I have no problems--but this means I have to check in every 20 minutes, which is annoying when trying to capture a 2 hour VHS tape.

If I do nothing, then once the first video file is created, the capturing will continue, but with lots of dropouts and other errors.

Ideally I would like to start a VHS tape, and let capture just run until the tape ends, but I can't seem to find a way to do it without corrupted files unless I stop and start capture every 20 minutes or so before each video file reaches its max size.

If there are any suggestions as to how to capture VHS continuously without problems I would appreciate hearing.

2. smchar

smchar Member

I did some research and found that the maximum size of a file created on a hard disk formatted in FAT32 is 4gb, and the second hard disk that I have been using to capture my video files is FAT32 even though it is 40gb(it is my iRiver i-140 mp3 player). Hence my inability to capture video files larger than 4gb.

There is a progam by Ulead called DVD Workshop 2.0 which is somewhat expensive, but promises seamless caputre,i.e., the ability to capture video continuously despite file size. The program also has a number of other features.

Has anyone used Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0, and if so, how have you found it to perform.

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

This means that it will capture as long as you want it to capture,irregardless of the size the file becomes --- BUT --- you will still have the limitation of FAT32 on your hard drive. There's one solution , that is to convert your HD to NTFS and you can then have files bigger then 4G.

To convert to NTFS is a simple procedure -- have a look at Microsoft Bulletin 307881 here :- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881

4. smchar

smchar Member

Ulead says that its software automatically will create multiple files when a file reaches max size and then stitch the files together, so that the 4gb of FAT32 is overcome.

I have considered converting to NTFS and may do that. Even if I do, the Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0 still offers a very impressive array of features, though it is expensive. I'm still debating whether I'll use all the features that it comes with.