1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with new ROM and Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by burninv, Feb 1, 2005.

1. burninv

burninv Member

I have recently purchased a Pacific Digital 16X U30115 DVD-ROM in order to upgrade my CD-ROM. I have successfully been able to backup DVDs using my NEC DRW-NE-0ND1100A burner with DVD shrink for about 6 months now. I haven't found a movie yet that would generate errors. I have installed the DVD-ROM and have discovered that I cannot decrypt any movies with DVD Shrink using the new DVD-ROM. However I can take the same movie, place it in the NEC and decrypt it with no problem. Is this an issue with this particular drive?

Other info that may help... I can successfully use the DVD ROM with DVD Decrypter and then use those files to back up the movie with DVD Shrink. But I would prefer to create a one click backup process. I am using the default settings on both programs

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Make sure your jumper is set correctly.

3. burninv

burninv Member

Hi wolfniggr,
    My ROM and DVD+R are on the secondary IDE with the ROM as master and the DVD+R as slave. I should clarify that I get the "Failed to read file "E:\" Copy Protection Error - The read failed because the sector is encrypted" During analysing.

Thanks, Vern

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Man, that sounds like a frustrating situation. Have you considered exchanging it. I myself had the same problem. It started when my oringial DVD-Rom(liteon) was starting to take a shit and I was thinking of also upgrading my burner. I went out and got a new 16x rom and a 16x dl burner. Everyting was cool(and fast) until I started seeing erors. I let the burner read to see if it was the disc, but it did it no problem. I immediately went to exchange it for a different brand(Memorex) with the same specs, and after a couple of tries that took a shit on me too. I said screw it and exchanged it for another burner to match the one I had just bought. Haven't had a single problem since. Also, the roms I checked out at 3 different stores(bestbuy, frys, compusa) didn't carry a DVD rom that could read DVD+rDL anyway. So 2 dl burners was definitely the way to go for me. Hope you have better luck.

5. burninv

burninv Member

Thanks wolfniggr,
    I got that ROM on clearance at office max for $20. I guess you get what you pay for! Off to the store, I guess. I'll let you know how I do.

Thanks, vern

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Burninv, when you get the new DVD ROM, reverse the way that you have the 2 hooked up. Make the burner the master and the ROM the slave.

7. burninv

burninv Member

Hi GranpaBW,
    I'll try that with the old one, cause I haven't bought the new one yet.
    Thanks, Vern

8. burninv

burninv Member

Hi GranpaBW,
    No luck on the cheap fix. I found a Samsung 52x CD-R and 16XDVD combo at Micro Center for $40. Some body else here has one and likes it.
    Thanks, Vern

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Burninv, if you go to Device Manager, and look under the Ide... connections, are both, on the Secondary set to Ultra DMA Mode 2?

10. burninv

burninv Member

Hi GranpaBW,
    Under advanced settings for secondary IDE both device's show transfer mode as "DMA if available". under current transfer mode: device 0 (DVD-RW)shows "ultra DMA mode 2. device 1 (DVD-ROM) shows multi-word DMA mode 2. What is the difference? As you can tell I switched DVD-RW to master and DVD-ROM to slave (per your suggestion). I'm just leaving it that way until I get this fixed or replaced.

Thanks for your help, Vern

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You would notice a big difference in the time it takes to read or burn, if it was set to PIO mode. It woud take forever to read and burn if set that way.

2 things to check. First, make sure you have the latest firmware update for your burner and reader.

Second, you just might have a bad ribbon cable. If you have another cable handy, remove the old one and put the spare one in. If you don't have another one, buy one, and see if that cures the problem.

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Excellent advice on the ribbon cable. Make sure it has a blue end that would attach at the MB. That would be an 80 wire instead of the older version 40.

13. burninv

burninv Member

Hi ScubaBud,
    How about a red plug?

Thanks, Vern

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Connector Assignments and Color Coding: For the first time, the 80-conductor cable defines specific roles for each of the connectors on the cable; the older cable did not. Color coding of the connectors is used to make it easier to determine which connector goes with each device:
    Blue: The blue connector attaches to the host (motherboard or controller).
    Gray: The gray connector is in the middle of the cable, and goes to any slave (device 1) drive if present on the channel.
    Black: The black connector is at the opposite end from the host connector and goes to the master drive (device 0), or a single drive if only one is used.

Red??

15. burninv

burninv Member

I don't know where I got the one with the red host end. I tried three different ones with no luck. As for updates, Pacific Digital didn't have one and I have had the latest for the NEC.

Thanks, Vern

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I put a picture in my sig file showing a 80 ribbon.

It shows exactly what I am talking about and what I show in the last message.

The blue connector goes to the MB, the grey to your slave drive and the black to your master drive.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  17. burninv

burninv Member

No, don't have one of those, but I tried one that was less than 2 months old, but didn't have color connectors.
    Thanks, Vern

18. burninv

burninv Member

Well I went out and bought a Samsung TS-H492A from Micro Center and backed up 2 of my movies without a hitch!!! Thanks for all of your help guys!!!

Vern :)