Problems burning DVDs in Windows 7

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by anandxxx, Jan 14, 2012.

1. anandxxx

anandxxx Member

Yo. I just got a new laptop with a HP CDDVDW TS-L633R drive, and the only burning program on it is the Windows 7 File Manager Burner.

Typically, I burn Divx/MP3 discs with my Windows 98 computer (Nero 6) and use them on one of two Phillips DVD players. It always worked well, but the discs that I've burned with my new laptop take waaay longer to load on the Phillips and seem to have read problems. I tested this by burning the exact same content on the same type of disc (Verbatim DVD-R AZO) in the same format on both computers. I also tested burning the disc with a free trial of BurnAware (on UDF 1.02). The disc passed verification, but had the same loading problems on my Phillips DVD player.

In addition, data extraction from the laptop drive seems super-slow. It takes about 16 minutes to copy 4.3 GB of data files off of it. Is this normal?

Do you guys have any idea what my problem could be? Windows 7, bum drive, etc.? I need to know ASAP, since I only have two more days to decide whether or not to keep my new laptop (which is great, aside from these issues).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. attar

attar Senior member

Try downloading, installing and running ImgBurn.

On the top menu bar, click 'Tools' > 'Reset DMA' (perhaps the reason for the 'slow').

Click 'Write file/folders to disc'.
    On the top menu, click 'Tools' > 'Drive' > 'Check for firmware updates' to see if one is available.
    Drag or browse to a folder or files and burn a disk to see the result.

3. anandxxx

anandxxx Member

Thanks for the tip! I actually downloaded this program, but I haven't tried it out yet. I'll give it a go.

4. anandxxx

anandxxx Member

Thanks, man. It worked! My problem was one of format (UDF vs. Joliet). ImgBurn had a variety of options to allow me to customize the burn.