1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems copying DVD's with new DVDWriter

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fitzy69, Jan 1, 2005.

1. fitzy69

fitzy69 Member

Hi Everyone,

Firstly Happy New year to one and all.

Right down to business, i have just installed a new DVDWriter Plextor PX-716A/T3, Xmas pressie to meself. Problem is when i try to copy a DVD using disc to disc feature, the disc gets burnt to (you can see this on the reverse side by the change in the dye colour), but when placed in my DVD player i get a "No Disc" error message. But this never happened before i changed the drives over was using a Sony DRU-510AK. It happens with different copying software too ie. Ulead DVD Movie Maker, Nero Version 6, which were the ones that worked fine with the Sony drive. Do i need to change any settings on my computer to get the new drive working properly? I have a Pentium 4 with Windows XP SP2.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regarsd,

Fitzy

2. beltline

beltline Regular member

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware for your dirve?

What media are you using? Bad media will sometimes cause this issue.

3. fitzy69

fitzy69 Member

Yes, that was the first thing i done after i installed the drive, i am using Ritek 8x DVD's with the new G05 purple dye. Have just spoken to a friend and he said it could be that the Plextor drives might not be disc to disc compatible ewhen it comes to copying, he has the PX-712SA drive but has neve rdone a disc to disc copy and can't try one until tomorrow.

Fitzy

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Is there a feature within the software that can enable you to 'finalise the disc', as it may not be closing the disc off causing your player not to be able to read it?

Just a suggestion..............

5. fitzy69

fitzy69 Member

Not sure if the software has that feature or not, but after copying has finished it does take longer for the drive to open than with my old drive which was instantanious after clicking the OK button. Someone did suggest that the drive might be burning the DVD in a different region setting that my DVD plyers cannot read, i'm in England which is region 2. I don't knowif there is a setting in Uleads DVD movie Factory or in The Nero version 6 software that i'm trying to use.

Regards

Fitzy69

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

If there was a region mismatch with your player then you would receive a screen displaying that the disc has an incorrect region setting and usually you will receive a 'global' map displaying the different regionalised zones...............

What I would do is get the source material onto your Hard drive and then burn it back.
    Check to see that this method works......this would prove your burner/software/finalising/media etc......

Doing 'disc to disc' or 'on the fly' is always very risky due to the nature of the speed of data transfer, especially 8x.....higher speed=higher chance of data corruption/loss.

If you want to, reduce the speed of the burn and see if that helps any, but from what I can see your best bet is to burn from the Hard drive first to make sure the PC is 'singing from the same hymn sheet', and the go on from there....................

7. masakari

masakari Member

I've found that some of todays DVD burners will work better and with more programs with the jumper pins set to Cable Select. You can experiment with that as well. When I had mine set as master, it wouldn't work with all of my programs and just burning data from the HDD would produce coasters in some instances. Hope this helps.

8. fitzy69

fitzy69 Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have duscovered that it will burn disc to disc with my old stock of discs with the GO4 dye at 4x, but the problem is with the new stock i bought recently 8x Ritek Arita with GO5 dye, and even new Riteks 8x with the same GO5 dye, so me is thinking that my Plextor PX-716A drive is not compatible with the new GO5 dye yet.

My mate who has a 712SA drive has no problem with the GO5 discs, has any one else experianced any probs with new GO5 dye discs?

Haven't tried burning from hard drive yet will attempt that Monday morning when i get home from night shift.

cheers

Fitzy

9. fitzy69

fitzy69 Member

Have just tried burning a disc straight from the hard drive, guess what...........another coaster for my collection, you can see the burn length on the back of disc but it still comes up with the "No Disc" message. I'm now certain its the new GO5 dye discs it doesn't like. I'm sure i read somewhere that when you download and install the new 1.03 firmware you run the risk damaging the drive permanently, something about flashing the drive i think it said, is this true, cos i downloaded it from the Plextor website, they wouldn't let you install something that could damage the drive would they?

Fitzy

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

What they are pertaining is that 'flashing' the firmware can permanently damage the drive should the 'flash' go wrong in terms of data corruption, or by loading an incorrect version for that model etc etc.

Usually a 'flash' of a brand new drive will invalidate any warranty and if you send it back they can tell....................however you will need to contact them to be certain of their policy.

If the G04 dye ones ok, then I would stick with them, but would email Plextor regarding the G05 issue.

Usually a bad flash will render it unusable, so if it burns the G04's ok, I would assume that the drive is not damaged.

Try and burn a G05 at the same speed you do the G04's on (ie 4x) and see if it works ok, my guess is that for some reason the disc may not be getting closed off, because from what you have said, that the burn completes with no fault messages.......

Also there could be an issue between the sofware you are using and the G05 discs, and in fact may not be a drive issue.
    Check for updates for your software to double check they support 8x burning with your burner and of course does the software in fact 'Fully' support your model of burner?

11. fitzy69

fitzy69 Member

I have tried burning at 1x, 2x, 4x,6x, and 8x but get the same result, i agree it could be that the burn is not being closed or finished properly, but i'm using the trial software that came with the drive so it should support that drive if Plextor supplied it! The software worked fine with the GO5 discs with my old Sony drive so don't think its a software issue. Unfortunately Ritek have ceased manufacturering the GO4 discs so they will be in short supply very soon. Hvae already e-mailed Plextor but am waiting a response about the GO5 disc problem.

Does anyone know how i can check the drive compatibility within the Ulead and Nero6 software so i can put my mind at rest that its not an issue? Also i have used the Plextools pro V2.18 and checked the Autostrategy Database and it is enabled but is empty, so it is not learning about the GO5 discs as it say's it should in the drive specs (learns new media types to support)

Regards

Fitzy

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005