1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems Installing Slayers Auto Installer CD

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by muncho, Sep 9, 2003.

1. muncho

muncho Member

I've spent the last couple of days trying to install the Slayers Auto Installer CD and every time i put this disc in it doesn't recognize the media. I need help.

So, i've downloaded the self-extracting .exe file which when extracted becomes an ISO file. This is where i might be going wrong, do i need to re-save this file as an XISO or is it already in that format? - is there a way to check this? Anyway, i've tried re-saving and i've tried just burning that ISO file and neither work. Does it matter what the ISO file is named? - uppercase or lowercase? I've been using Nero to burn the discs (Memorex CDR-W) and i know they work because i used them to flash my BIOS.

A few pointers would be appreciated and yes, i have searched through the tutorials already but i just think i've missed something out.

Thanks.

2. djc11369

djc11369 Member

You just need to burn the iso that you extracted, no conversion needed. I also used Nero with Memorex CD-RW without problems so it should work. Heres a tutorial for checking different settings with Nero, http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/nero.php. I left the name as it extracted to. If that doesn't work its possible that you got a bad download, that happened on my first download and I had to download again. Hope this helps. Oh, just to make sure, you say it doesn't recognize the media when you put the disk in. You are shutting down and then turning your xbox back on with the disk in right?

3. lemonade

lemonade Member

I've also had problems installing Slayers. I thought for sure it would be easy because I finally got my bios flashed, so obviously my xbox was reading the cd-rws I was using. But djc, you say that your first download was bad? Did you get it through IRC? Did you get your second one from the same place?

4. djc11369

djc11369 Member

Yes I did get it from the same place and no I didn't get it through IRC. I got a link to a site from someone that I emailed, its since been removed. Sometimes, who knows why, something gets corrupted during the download. What happens when you boot up, do you get an error or what?

5. skinny85

skinny85 Member

So using this disk, you can install evox and applications without modifying .ini files and compiling an iso correct?And this works on any modded xbox with any bios?correct me if im wrong.

6. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Yes you can completely set up your harddrive using Slayers. Either the original or larger. If your using a newer bios that looks for the .xbe file named evoxdash.xbe on the harddrive then you'll have no problems.
    RustyDog

7. lemonade

lemonade Member

When I put in the disc with slayers on it, it says it is a disc that xbox can't read. I tried the same brand CD-RWs I used to flash the bios. I now just tried a different brand and the I get the same message.

8. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Are you first extracting the ISO file before burning the disc?
    Make sure you burn the disc at no more than 4X speed and use the disc at once option if you have it.
    RustyDog

9. ModNoob

ModNoob Member

So let make sure i understand...after flashing the Bios, then all I would need is the slayer's auto installer. it contains the evolution x dashboard and all? I have read about the hddinstaller?...or something like that used to make backups. is this included also with slayer's?

~Thanks

10. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Yes, first you'll need to flash and install your chip. Then you can use a program like Slayers to install all the necessary Apps on the XBox harddrive.
    RustyDog

11. ModNoob

ModNoob Member

Thats awesome. so now to flash the chip do I need to buy the flasher thing that plugs into my printer port? its only like $15 so If I need to buy it then no big deal, but is there another way to flash the chip?

~Thanks

12. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Most chips come preflashed with a Linux bios that allows you to reflash it using a disc. It's usually much easier to use the PC programmer even if you only have to use it once.
    RustyDog

13. ModNoob

ModNoob Member

Thanks Rusty you have been a big help. I only have one more question, then I will be set. (Sorry for all the ?s)
    IF my chip comes with cromwell on it, I read that it will ask me to insert a disk with another bios on it. So could I just burn the image of the bios on a cd-rw and insert it in the xbox and it will flash the chip, or is it more complicated? I also read that while cromwell is running on the chip you need to be using RCA hookups, not the RF hookup or you will see no image on your tv...is this true?

~Thanks

14. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Using the Linux bios, depending on what chip you have, flashing it will be alittle different. It's pretty much just putting the bios on a disc and inserting it. If you can get a PC programmer it's usually worth the little extra even if you only use once. Just makes things easier most the time.
    Using the original RCA A/V connectors works all the time. The RF cables do sometimes depending on how good a brand it is. Most of the time the M$ RF adapter will work fine. HDTV, S-vid and Monster cables don't seem to work at all.
    RustyDog

15. knobby

knobby Member

Total newbie here just got my xbox chipped but cant find slayers anywhere have tried installing evolution x but my xbox wont recognise disc.
    please help me!

16. lemonade

lemonade Member

Yeah, so I've got slayers 2.1, I extract it to get the iso. I burn a data disc, select the iso file, unclick joliet, burn at the slowest speed, burn disc-at-once. Still, no luck. It is not a media xbox can read. Any ideas?

17. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Most likely it's a problem with the disc your using. Try 4X Sony or TDK disc's?
    What DVD drive does your Xbox have?
    RustyDog

18. skinny85

skinny85 Member

Yeah, I had the same problem with my Slayers 2.1 as well as I all the EVO X disks I tried to create(about 20). I swapped DVD drives with my friend's XBOX and it booted everything(Maxwells, Imations, Memorex)on one shot. The problem is that my friend's xbox didn't work with my DVD drive(I guess b/c his isn't modded), so after installing EVOX and Apps, i had to swap it back. My DVD drive still can't read anything.

Question 1: If I buy a new DVD rom from CompUSA or somewhere and put it in place of the XBOX DVD Drive, will it function correctly?
    Question 2: What is the NTSC<->PAL function on the Slayers disk suppose to do. I've heard bad things. Not sure what it is or why they would include it if it was so bad?

FYI: I own a Xbox v1.0 (thompson DVD drive) and my friend Xbox v1.0 (thompson DVD drive).

19. GetModded

GetModded Guest

It takes more than swapping in a PC DVD drive. The Firmware programmed into the DVD drive needs to reprogrammed and also the power plug redone.
    You can buy Premodded Samsung PC DVD drives that will plug right in and work. Or just look for another Xbox DVD drive (probably the easiest thing to do).
    RustyDog

20. lemonade

lemonade Member

I've got a v 1.0 xbox with a thomson drive also. I've tried burning slayers to memorex and tdks. What baffles me is this: why would the xbox read my biosflash cd but not the slayers?

Skinny, you said,
    , so then doesn't it seem like there should be a software or firmware solution to the problem?

I really don't want to buy a DVD drive; that makes this whole project a lot more expensive. Is there any solution for me that allows me to work with the DVD drive I already have?

GetModded, you said
    Can I update the firmware in my thomson drive? What's necessary for the power plug?

Help