1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROBLEMS MAKING .BAT FILE CMD PROMPT

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tripplite, Jun 13, 2007.

1. tripplite

tripplite Guest

so i have made several .bat files before with issue... until now

these are the commands i am giving it

pause
    ipconfig/release
    ipconfig/flushdns
    ipconfig/renew

now it works... however its not giveing me a new ip? I loose connect and regain it quickly and then my ip is still the same?
    WHY??

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

if you are using cable modem or adsl modem to connect to web, your ip address comes via dhcp and will not change.

3. tripplite

tripplite Guest

is there anyway around it?

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Long answer:

A computer connected via cable or DSL is a "DHCP client". DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. It allows dynamic configuration of the network configuration of a host computer. The basic idea is this: When a DHCP client is turned on, it initially doesn't have an IP address assigned to it. It issues a broadcast message to any DHCP servers which are on the network. An exchange takes place during which the DHCP server assigns an IP address to the client and tells the client certain key network configuration parameters (such as name server addresses for example).

Medium Length Answer:

With your type of connection, your IP address is given to you by the network. You don't have a choice.

Short Answer:

No.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  5. tripplite

tripplite Guest

alas...................