1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems playing backed up DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by budro, Sep 29, 2007.

1. budro

budro Regular member

I'll be using a dvd player for a couple months with backups, and it'll work fine. but after a while, it starts to pixel out completely near the end of the movie. I'm currently using RiDATA DVD+R's for my backups. I had been using memorex, but memorex sucks, so i switched. On that note, does bad media ware the lasers out quicker like with xbox 360's?

2. onya

onya Guest

Optical drive lasers are often tested when burning Dual Layer Discs. As for low quality media wearing out the laser....... I believe this to be false. The issue of X-Box 360 stuff, I personally can't comment. What have you heard that made you think that X-Box stuff was hard on the laser?

All input is welcomed.

3. budro

budro Regular member

Yeah, when ppl use cheap media such as memorex for burning xbox 360 backups, the laser has to work harder to read it, so it wears faster. i wanted to know if this was also true for DVD players....

4. JVC

JVC Active member

I think someone is pulling your leg......The lasers and dvds are digital based equipment. The laser either reads a dvd, or it doesn't. It doesn't work harder, to read one.
    You may be burning too close to the edge. In your burning software's preferences, try setting your target size to 4300, and see if that helps.

5. budro

budro Regular member

Hmm, interesting. Well, I use DVD Shrink to do all of that. So how would I go about changing those settings?

6. JVC

JVC Active member

With Shrink open, click on "Edit", in the menu at the top. Then click on "Preferences". In that little window, there is a drop down menu with options of:
    DVD-5 (4.7GB)
    DVD-9 (8.5GB)
    Custom

Choose "Custom".
    The box beside Custom will activate (grayed out before). In this box, type in 4300, and click "OK".
    Then close that window, and go about business as usual.
    Good luck!

7. budro

budro Regular member

Thank you very much. i appreciate it.
    no need to keep this in your subscriptions as i just purchased a new dvd player and wouldn't know if this worked right now or not anyways lol.
    thanks a lot for your help

8. JVC

JVC Active member

It may still do it with the new player. If it does, try what I showed you, and see if it helps. May want to burn slower too.

I never subscribe to any threads, at any forum.
    I post too much, at too many forums, and don't want my mailbox filling up with notices that someone replied to a post of mine. I don't have trouble finding the posts again.

9. budro

budro Regular member

alright, i'll post again if i experiance anymore problems after changing my settings

thanks for the help