1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with encoding MKV files

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by oldgold, Dec 22, 2007.

1. oldgold

oldgold Member

Hi

I hope this is the right place for this query. I am trying to convert some HD mkv files to DVD. I am using AVI2DVD following the guide on this website. The problem I have is that when I view the DVD, it plays at full screen (16:9), but everything looks stretched vertically (as it would if watching a widescreen program squashed into a 4:3 ratio). I have also tried playing the same files by streaming them to PS3 and they look the same. When I view on my PC in Media Player, they play fine, but don't appear full screen (they have large bars at top and bottom).

I am, therefore, assuming it is something to do with the file type. My question is, can I convert these so that they will show the bars by default, as they do in Media Player or make it full screen, but at the proper aspect ratio (not stretched).

I cannot simply change the my TV aspect ratio, as it doesn't work. The video remains stretched, whatever format I use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

SuperĀ©
    Drag the file onto the Window.
    Set the output container as 'vob DVD Compliant'

In the video pane:
    check the scale size as 720x480 - this is NTSC
    Check the 'Aspect' button for 16:9
    Encode the file.

VsoDivXtoDVD (the free version).
    Open the new file, and set 'Aspect and 'Standard'.
    I always force 16:9 (not strictly required, but my TV is widescreen) and NTSC for video.
    Convert to DVD format and burn with your favourite program.

If the video is 16:9, and your DVD player is set to output to a widescreen TV, then the picture should display properly.
    If the player is set for a standard TV, the player outputs the video in a letterbox.

At the different steps, check sync before burning.

SuperĀ©
    Download from Afterdawn
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/super.cfm

vso_divx
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vso_divxtodvd_guide.cfm

3. oldgold

oldgold Member

Thanks for the advice. I have one question, however. I live in UK and don't think my DVD player plays NTSC discs, will this encode the files to NTSC? And is there an option to convert to PAL, or does that not matter until I convert to DVD format?

4. attar

attar Senior member

Don't think it matters until you tell the vsodivx, I just want to cover everything.
    PAL DVD is 720x576

5. oldgold

oldgold Member

Thanks very much. I'll give that a go.

6. oldgold

oldgold Member

I can't even get the files to encode with Super. It either won't start telling me that there is an error, or it looks like it is about to start but the program stops working and I have to close it.

ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.

7. attar

attar Senior member