1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my DVD back up's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Flyinn, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Flyinn

Flyinn Guest

Hello, here is the problem i having periodically but getting worse. My movie's are starting to skip a frame and freeze up for a few seconds. Lately they have been playing great for first hour but then they start to skip and freeze, sometimes for minutes and become unplayable.

I have been using DVDshrink and DVD Decrypter, recently changed to DVD rebuilder and CCE and either nero or dvd clone to burn.

I use a Lite-on burner with Ritek G04 disks. I cant really understand this as some movies work fine but others dont at all. Like i said as of late, getting more freezing up on me.

Anyone have any suggestions that might help?

2. Flyinn

Flyinn Guest

Just to add one thing, I have been trying to re-rip /burn the disks again. Most times with dvd decrypter i get an error as with most progrmas i am trying. But then again some do work and its really baffling me..

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Flyinn,
    Try making a couple burns at 2x and when useing shrink set the target size between 4300-4400 MB so it doesn't burn clear to the very outside edge. Although G04's are normally pretty good media, I think they are starting to vary a little in consistancy. I had to start burning them at 2x. Also you could try some quality dvd+r media as lite-ons prefer +r and make sure your firmware is up to date.

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You cannot re-rip a ripped disc, especially if you have shrunk the files as with DVD Shrink. The problem is almost certainly due to poor discs. Try changing the discs you use and always keep them protected in a proper sleeve. If you want to copy a back-up disc you can simply do a straight DVD copy with Nero (no need to re-rip).

5. Flyinn

Flyinn Guest

Just to add some update to this, I tried a few more movies and they all start to freeze a frame around the 1 hour mark and make them unplayable by 90 min mark or so. Tried using both dvd decrypter abd dvd shrink, and rebuilder CCE combos and both do the same stuff. I tried to burn at a lower speed, didnt help. Firmware is the lastest. Disks still ritek g06, either bad disk or burner? Any ideas? And thanks to those that replied so far.

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

What burning rom are you using? Are you ripping new DVD's?

7. Flyinn

Flyinn Guest

yes most are new Dvd's. Lite-on 8x burner. Since they usually start to freeze and skip around the same area i must think its eitehr disk or burner. How ever i have had good ones from this batch of ritek so i really dont know.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would try some different media (preferably quality +r media). You can always booktype them to dvd-rom if you have any compatability problems. I started having problems with G04's too.

9. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Don't think the problem is with your burner. Could be a bad batch of discs but that is unusual with Ritek. Are you using Nero to burn?

10. Flyinn

Flyinn Guest

I have been using DVD Shrink then DVD decrypter to burn. Have tried nero to burn the back up ones. I have had this problem since the start, back uped over 200 of mine so far. But not all of them do it, i would say maybe half skip a frame and 1/4 freeze a bit. Does anyone else have this problem cause its really getting old. I just want good quality back ups heh. Thanks for all the help so far, would be nice to resolve this.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Try some Taiyo Yuden's or Maxell's. If you still have the same problem then you can rule out media but [bold]MEDIA[/bold] is the most common cause of skipping, freezing, pixelating and read errors. One more thing, make sure your stand-alone player has plenty of ventilation and is not getting to hot. What model # dvdrw? What firmware?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  12. Flyinn

Flyinn Guest

Quick question, do copies of copies degrade? Just for soemthing to try i tried to copy my back up disk. That one skipped more then the backup. then i made another copy of that one, this one seemed liek the encoding was off, since it skipped and went fuzzy.

I did try a maxell disk but was a copy of my backup and that messed up good heh. Its wierd half of them do it other half dont and i just cant figure it out why. It is really annoying me now. I also just bought a new Pioneer 108 burner, since old one wasnt DL and this one is, thought why not heh. So far the one i tried to copy from my back up skipped bad too.

Almost everyone that skips does so near the end, 75-90 min mark. Anything to check that could be cauing bad sectors on disk?

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hate to tell you but depending on the model of your lite-on dvdrw, you probably could have flashed it with some modified f/w making it a dl burner.

There should be no degadation when making a copy of a copy as long as you stay with quality media and don't copy on the fly.

Check your ASPI layors in nero system info, make sure box on the bottom is green for both nero and system.