1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Paolo75, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Paolo75

Paolo75 Member

I have 2 mpeg files for the film paycheck, which i need to convert to DVD compliant files. Ive had no problems whatsoever with TMPGEnc until now. It just wont recognise it, i used the wizard to select PAL DVD, and select the files etc, but it just wont read it. It says it will take up 0.02% of the DVD disk. As i said ive had no problems before this, and ive used it since with other films and its been fine.

Anyone know what is wrong, and if possible, what i need to do.

Cheers

Paolo

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Tell us Something about these 2 Mpeg files you have..Are they Mpeg1 or Mpeg2 and what are the Resolution of these Mpeg files?? Because You Might not have to convert them to DVD/Mpeg2 because the DVD standard Supports a Standard that is allmost exactly the same as the VCD Standard..So if these Mpeg Files are Mpeg1 or Mpeg2 at 352+240/288-Pal then you can Put them on DVD without re-encodeing them which would be Much better than re-encodeing them because that will make you loose a Bunch of Visual Quality ,All you would need to do is resample the audio to 48000hz and they would be Fully DVD Compliant....Cheers

3. Paolo75

Paolo75 Member

The Mpeg files are mpeg 1 files, and the resolution is 480x480, which isnt accepted by TMPGEnc DVD author. any suggestions on what i can do?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Are you sure they are Mpeg1 at 480+480 because that is the same as SVCD accept SVCD is Mpeg2 at 480+480 which you can Burn to DVD with the right software But you have a Bigger problem and that which is that these Files are NTSC and I believe you Live In Pal Land so you can NOT make a Pal DVD out of these NTSC Files even if you did convert them to DVD Specs because you can not Properly Convert NTSC to Pal with Most Encoders Includeing Tmpgenc, If you try you will get Jumpy playback...The only encoder that will Properly convert NTSC to Pal is "Canopus Procoder" which is not an easy Program to find and it is quite expensive at about $700...The only other think you can do to try to convert these NTSC Files to Pal DVD Mpeg2 files is to use a High end editor like Vegas Video or Adobe Premier to convert the Frame rate and resolution to Pal DVD ...Most other methods for converting Frame rates are much more complex....

5. dagodan

dagodan Member

i am trying to convert a pal movie to ntsc using tmpg can i do it or do i need another program?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

dagodan: No you can not Properly Convert Pal/NTSC Formats useing Tmpgenc or most encoders, Tmpgenc doesn"t do Proper frame Rate conversions what it does to convert Frame rates is either Delete Frame or Duplicate Frames to Make up the new Frame rate which can make the Video have a Jumpy effect because of Duplicate or Missing Frames...Proper Frame Rate conversions are subposed to Interpolate new Frames or Blend fields from 2 different frames to make up New Frames or another method is to Speed up or slow down the Video to make up the Changed Frame rate but this is only really Practical when going too or from 23.976fps NTSC and 25fps Pal...Most High end Video editors Like Vegas Video or Premier can properly Convert Frame rates or there is one encoder Called "Canopus Procoder" that can properly convert Pal/NTSC and it creates very High Quality Mpeg files but it is also very expensive at about $700...You can also Do a proper Pal to NTSC Conversion yourself and all you need becides a Mpeg encoder Like Tmpgenc is a Audio editor Called "GoldWave" ...What you do is First Extract the audio from your Source AVI file, then use a simple program called "AVIFrate" which will Change the Frame rate of your Pal AVI file to 23.976fps which in turn will make the Video Longer because you are slowing down the Video from 25fps to 23.976fps so what you need to do now is Load the AVI file with the Changed Frame rate into something like "Virtual-Dub" then go to "File" to "File Information" which will tell you the exact length of the AVI Video file which you write down..Now you Run "Goldwave" and Load in the extracted Audio file and then go to "Effects" to "Time Warp" This effect will stretch or shrink the Audio file to whatever length you want so put in the Length of the Video file that you write down ,Then apply the effect and save the audio as a Wav file...Now you Just have to Load in the AVI file that you changed the Frame Rate on as the Video source in tmpgenc and Load in the audio file that you Stretched with Goldwave into Tmpgenc as the audio source and then encode to a NTSC Mpeg file....I actually have to do this Method later today cus I have a Pal Movie I want to Put on a NTSC DVD....Cheers

7. dagodan

dagodan Member

thanks minion looks like i have my work cut out for me. i love the challange.had pal vid clips that were avi files on my computer and did those . this is differant. thanks for thw help.

8. dagodan

dagodan Member

tried differant things and am doing something wrong. cant get readable files onto my hard drive so that i can plug them in . tried to use canopus procoder express to convert but cannot import files to put into program. tried your other suggestion but to no avail. now really frustrated. what am i doing wrong?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

What is the Problem?? Are you trying to get files that are on CD-R on to your Hard drive??? why don"t you start from the top and explain what your trying to do cut I"m getting confused which what your trying to do....Cheers

PS: What does This Mean :

10. dagodan

dagodan Member

sorry minion. got so frustrated made post then turned off computer.trying to convert pal dvd to ntsc.it seems as if canopus procoder express is made for this.it also seems as if the files have to be on my hard drive in some form .that is where the problem lies. tried dvd decrypter and dvd2avi. i put the audio and video files on my hard drive and that is as far as i got.i have to be doing something wrong or omitting something. there must be another step to get canopus to get a file to read properly. hope you can understand this

11. dagodan

dagodan Member

one thing more ithink i may need to convert the dvd movie to avi before i can work with it . how can i do that?

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

OK..Your trying to convert a Pal DVD to NTSC, Procoder will Accept the Video in the Vob files without any problem But will Not accept the audio, But that is OK because the audio doesn"t need to be encoded because it is in the Correct format, So you should Have Ripped the DVD to a Single M2V Video file and a AC3 Audio file with your Ripping Program ,Both DVD Decryptor and Smartripper have features that will do this...then you would just encode the M2V Video file to NTSC with procoder and then authored the New NTSC M2V File and the AC3 audio file to DVD....

13. dagodan

dagodan Member

procoder wont recognize the vob files. when i set up a watch folder it sees it but freezes up. if this is wrong should i reinstall the program?

14. Minion

Minion Senior member

It is because it does not handle the AC3 audio, what you have to do is demux(Seperate the audio from the Video) the Vob files and take the M2V file(Mpeg2 Video file) and encode it which I allready explained in my last post..You can load the Vob file into tmpgenc"s Simple Demultiplex and it will seperate the Vob into seperate audio and Video files..(In tmpgenc go to "File" to "Mpeg tools" to "Simple Demultiplex")
    After encodeing Just the Video in Procoder you Load the Video and the AC3 audio file into your DVD authoring program and create your menu"s and add Chapters and then author it to DVD......

15. dagodan

dagodan Member

still trying to convert pal to ntsc. i did what you said. using tmpg plus when i used simple multiplex the first vob file worked perfectly. that was the first 24 minutes of the movie. when i tried the second vob file it would appear to stop then start . then i would get an error message of illegal mpeg video stream. what next. is there any other program that will do this?

16. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I don"t Know why Procoder would accept one File but not another file, The Only thing I could think of is to Frameserve the M2V files to Procoder But this is a Bit more Complicated than some other Things...What you will need to do the Simplest Frameserveing method would be a Program Called "DVD2AVI 1.76" and a Tool Called the "VFAPI Converter"...You will have to find out own Links or message be and I could send the Programs to you Cuz i couldn"t Find the correct version of DVD2AVI on line..
    What you First do is Go into the Folder were the VFAPI converter is and Run the File called "Vfpset.bat" this will install a Frameserver Codec on your System, Then you Run DVD2AVI and then Load in your Vob files in the Order they should go and the go to "File" to "Save Project" and save the File, In a Few Minutes you will have a File with a D2v extention in the Folder were you saved the Project File, Now Run the "VfapiConv.exe" file in the Vfapi Converter folder and then load the D2v file into it and then click "Convert" and in a couple seconds you will have a psudo AVI file this isn"t a real AVI file it is Basicly the Video Information from the Vob files wraped in an AVI Container ,Now load this into Procoder and encode Like normal, This should work 100%....Cheers

17. dagodan

dagodan Member

sent you a message with my email so that you may send me the dvd2avi stuff. thanks for all the time

18. dagodan

dagodan Member

well so far so bad. thanks for the program. decided to start from scratch. all i have accomplished so far that works are mpeg files with no sound. did pick up a copy of premier pro but have to figure out how to use it. i want to thank you for all of your help so far minion. not giving up

19. dagodan

dagodan Member

still trying to convert pal to ntsc. i wonder if i can stitch the vob files together to form 1 vob file. perhapsi could demultiplex that one file. tmpg wont work on other files just the one vob movie file. minion do you have any suggestions or thoughts?

20. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Of cource you are Going to have Mpeg file with No audio Because you are Not supposed to encode the audio...I have went over this twice with you allready, Maybe 3 times a Charm..lol
    First Demux your Vob files onto a seperate M2V/Mpv Video File and an AC3 audio File...Now load JUST the M2V/Mpv Video File into Procoder and encode it to NTSC useing the Correct Bitrate so that they will Fit on a DVD, Now all you Have to do is Author the "Encoded" NTSC Mpeg Video File that Procoder Creates and the Audio that You Demuxed earlier to a DVD ,Any DVD Authoring program worth anything will Happily Accept Seperate Mpeg Video Files and Ac3 audio files to Make a Single DVD....If you are Haveing Problems Demuxing the Audio and Video From the VOB files then you Should Have done this while Ripping the DVD to your Hard drive..Both "Smartripper and "DVD Decryptor" Have Options that will allow you to Rip the DVD as a Single M2V Video File and an AC3 Audio File instead of a Bunch of little Vob files....If you can"t figure it out after that I think it is Time for a New Hobby....Cheers