1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probs with Optorite DD0405

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mbjb, May 21, 2004.

1. mbjb

mbjb Member

I have a similiar problem with the "power calibration error" and would like to know if anyone else has the same problem as me.
    I have an Optorite dvd burner (model DD0405) and have had problems when trying to write to and format CD-RW discs,whenever i try to record to one i get the calibration error,this has happened several times on several discs.The discs i use are Packard Bell rewritables (i havn't tried any other makes yet)
    Writing to DVDR/DVDRW and CDR is fine without problems so its just CDRW i am having problems with.
    Burning application i use is Nero OEM which was supplied with the drive.
    So,folks is it the drive,the cdrw media or Nero??

regards

2. bestsane

bestsane Member

I've just bought the same drive like you (Optorite DD0405) about two weeks ago at newegg.com, along with a 50-pack Legacy 4.7GB DVD-R's.
    So far I've burnt about 8 DVD's (all of them live shows), and there was only 1 failed burn process, while I was burning a Velvet Revolver concert. I believe that there's nothing to do with the burner though, just my pc went like shit at that time.

About CD-RW's, never tested burning one yet coz I don't have any.

3. Gloitdark

Gloitdark Member

Having same problems with Memorex CDRWs! Have runed about 4 so far! Also can't get the "Region" to "take" on the DVD Movie Playing!!! Have not tryed to burn a CDR of DVD R or RW as yet. I'm not impressed so far!
    Also have not found anyone to provide Support From Optorite, no info in the package.
    Comments????
    Regards,

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  5. mbjb

mbjb Member

Despite the fact that the drive doesn't like CDRW discs i've tried in it,it performs excellent with every other type of disc (CD,DVD-R,DVD+R,DVD-RW and DVD+RW)
    One thing i should mention is the fact that the CDRW discs i tried with it were formatted and recorded with my old CD Rewriter which is a LiteOn 52x24x52,could it be possible that this is why the Optorite cannot format them? (they have been rewritten to about 10 times)

The firmware link which the previous poster sent gives a "file not found" error.This link is Optoriteown website!!

regards

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

7. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi mbjb
    I own a Optorite DD0203 burner. I have found as I have searched for solutions to problems I have has with this burner that Optorite has the most fickle burners I have ever seen. Read some of the posts at IO Magic's forum - http://www.iomagic.com/Forum/forum.asp.
    Even search the forums here at AfterDawn and you will notice the same trends like http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/88588.
    It seems it is a rarity that all features of the Optorite drive work in every drive. There seems to be a defect - some feature that will not work - in most drives.
    My drive will not burn -R discs. It is a +/- burner but seems to finicky on the media it likes. I live with it .
    Optorite site is http://www.optorite.com/_english/web/0_index/0_index.php

I hope this helps

8. colw

colw Active member

If you have Nero OEM on your machine and cannot see a DVD burning option try a Google search for NVE2104 and download/install (approx 17Mb).

It will integrate with OEM version and display/allow DVD burning option.

You will also need to change mode to expert mode.

9. itoden

itoden Member

I also have the problem with the DD0405 not taking the region setting. When I change it, the count of allowed changes goes down (down to 2 from 4) but the region stays as "not specified"

I updated from 140 to 150 firmware and it still doesn't work.. I'm afraid to try changing it again since there's only two changes left.

I have been able to work around it using DVD Region Free but I'd like to get it set properly if possible.

10. mbjb

mbjb Member

surely you can set the region settings within the device manager in windows
    i have set mine without any probs

11. mbjb

mbjb Member

I cannot see why ppl use computer dvd rom drives to movies anyway when you can buy a player which does just about anything for a few dollars more

i just use my dvd drives now for data

12. tobybobo

tobybobo Member

I have the same problem with the DD0405. I cannot set the Region code - and no, not even from the Windows device manager. Although the number of changes goes down, the change just does not take. I'm down to 2 changes myself after trying to set the Region code with several different programs.

I have also ugraded the drive to the latest firmware.

Any ideas other than a bad drive?

13. mbjb

mbjb Member

Hi

Did you have a DVD in the drive when you attempted to change the drives region settings?
    I ask this because when i needed to change my DD0405 to region 2,i had to have an R2 DVD disc in the drive

Hope this helps

regards

14. tobybobo

tobybobo Member

Thanks for the help, but I didn't try to change it without a disc in because when the tray is empty, the region shows up as Region 1 in device manager. So, there's nothing to change. However, once a dvd is put in, it changes to Region Not Selected. This isn't a dvd issue either. My other dvd player in another computer shows up as Region 1 with or without a dvd in it. These are the same dvd's tested in the DD0405.

I'll have to send Optorite an email later on today. I don't want to screw around with it with only two more chances left.

15. tobybobo

tobybobo Member

Solution: After discussing this issue with Optorite customer service, I finally was able to set the Region code to 1. I first downgraded the firmware to 140 and tried to set the code, but this failed. I then uninstalled the dvd software I had installed (WinDVD 5 and Nero Showtime). After this, I was able to change the Region code and get it to say. I've also reinstalled the software and the code is still set. I don't know whether I can upgrade the firmware without any further difficulties, however.

Hope this helps the others.

16. Chops27

Chops27 Member

Hi

How did you downgrade your dirive to 140 from 150

I have had terrible problems with 160 and can only get the 150 firmware.

If someone has the method for reinstalling 140 (which was the best for me) please post it.

Chops

17. tobybobo

tobybobo Member

Optorite's support sent me 140 and I flashed the drive with the program. Unfortunately, I can't find the firmware on my computer.

18. Chops27

Chops27 Member

Hi

I emailed Optorite (global) a week ago and havn't heard a word ... not even a auto reply.

I might try the US site (I'm in Australia)

Chops

19. shawnzee

shawnzee Guest

Ive install NVE2104 and I still Cant burn DVD's what do I do know.

20. Chops27

Chops27 Member

Hi
    Nero Vision Express is really for authoring and recoding video files .... you don't really need it to burn a DVD, Just the strait Nero will do it.

If you are backing up a DVD search the net for:

DVD Decrypter = dumps the files on your hard drive

DVD Shrink = use this to create an image of the files (and shrink if necessary (ie dual layer)).

Nero Express 6 (or equiv) to then burn the image file to your DVD.

Cheers

Chops

p.s. I reformatted my drive and reinstalled all my drivers etc and everything is running a lot better and quicker (like 50%).... I wonder if I had a keylogger or something on my system.