1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 won't play DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jiteshkv, Jul 4, 2007.

1. jiteshkv

jiteshkv Member

Hi,

I am new to this site and am not sure if this is the correct head under which I should be posting this question...anyways...I am giving it a try and hope to get some good answers.

I downloaded Playboy-The Mansion from torrent network and received a .tar file which I extracted to my HDD. I now have a .mdf and a .mds file (with same name) on my HDD. I used Alcohol 120% to view the contents of the .mdf file and tried to burn the contents to a DVD 16x disc. The problem is my PS2 won't recognize the disc and says "Can't play this disc" or something like this....please HELP!!! :( :(

2. fadaching

fadaching Member

im also new to this whole thing but if im not mistaken you need a mod chip in your ps2

3. jiteshkv

jiteshkv Member

well...my ps2 does have modchip and all other games just work fine...this is happening with this particular game. Any other suggestions?

4. terryn0

terryn0 Member

OK, Im determining that you probably burned the game at a 16x speed from what you said (not saying you did, just guessing).

This is the golden rule of burning games (or anything else for that matter): always burn at a 4x speed NO MATTER WHAT. It always works better at a 4x speed. Some people suggest burning at 2x but i have actually found that even 2x (strange though because its lower and should produce better quality) will make the game lag sometimes. So i would suggest just sticking to 4x.

If i were you, i would go get some 4x DVDs instead of 16x because some computers wont read higher speed disks at lower lvls. You can find them at Rite-Aid usually.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  5. jiteshkv

jiteshkv Member

thanks for the reply terryn0 and as per your advise I bought an 8X DVD and burned at 4X speed...(I actually could not get 4X DVDs since I was told no one stocks them these days)...I hope it doesn't matter. But as the luck would have it...the DVD is still not being recognized by PS2. It says "the disc could not be played". What could be wrong here not sure...any more suggestions?

6. jiteshkv

jiteshkv Member

thanks for the reply terryn0 and as per your advise I bought an 8X DVD and burned at 4X speed...(I actually could not get 4X DVDs since I was told no one stocks them these days)...I hope it doesn't matter. But as the luck would have it...the DVD is still not being recognized by PS2. It says "the disc could not be played". What could be wrong here not sure...any more suggestions?

7. terryn0

terryn0 Member

Ok, first of all, you said that you downloaded the game. I would have to say thats somewhat of a no-no. Downloaded games tend to not work, and when they do, they still have something wrong with them. Not saying its always like that but it usually is.

2nd, some mod chips require a fireware update and so on. Check yours out and find out if it does.