1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting a few movies onto a DVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by mikey555, Feb 9, 2005.

1. mikey555

mikey555 Member

I've been messing aound with this all afternoon, and somehow I can't get it to work. I'm using DVD Architect to burn movies, but when I add a 10mb file, it says that the disk has used 65mb. I want to be able to put three or four medium quality movies onto one disc, but I guess I'm not sure if that's possible. If it is, could someone possibly tell me the way they did it, what kind of compression method (using Vegas presets, TMPEGEnc, XDVD, etc.), you know. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I looked at a bunch of guides - there doesn't seem to be any on the subject. Or if there is, post a link!

2. pfh

pfh Guest

I know I won't be much help cause I'm sorta new at this but perhaps phrase your question differently.
    What kind of movies? VCD,SVCD? Size?
    There are some expert members here and excellant guides to help you record vcd, svcd, divx formats onto dvd that might do what you want. Normal mpeg2 dvd compliant movies (720x480 @ 4000kb/s, ac3 audio) will only do about 2 hours on dvd.

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

If you want to fit than many movies onto one dvdr, you need to understand encoding/conversion and bitrate.
    Briefly, avi is a container for a compressed video/audio combination. How compressed depends on the codec used.
    A dvd is mpeg-2 video, a different compression, in a different container.
    If you have a bunch of 2 hour movies, not great quality, and want them to fit on one or two dvdr, try Xdvd (available inside the Tmpgenc Xpress 3 program), or google up KDVD templates, for use with Tmpgenc 2.5x
    Once you've encoded your video to your liking, you're going to have to author it. That is, put the mpg's into the correct dvd structure (.vobs etc.).
    If you get this far without further questions, we'll get into authoring :D

4. mikey555

mikey555 Member

Thanks for the help. I actually just figured out how to do it. I used (believe it or not) TMPGEnc Enxpress 3, with the XDVD compression. I made the avg. bitrate 1100 kb/s and the max. bitrate about 5000 kbs. I can fit about 4 1.5 hour movies on one DVD. However, I had to change the max. GOP frames from 48 to 15 (15 is the max amount for DVDs, at least for TMPGEnc DVD Author).

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Well done! Most people give up before figuring out stuff like this :D
    Xdvd was created specifically for this type of stuff.