1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR Clones? How do I know if I have one?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by ToonVader, Jul 5, 2007.

1. ToonVader

ToonVader Guest

Hi all, first post. I've bought a Starview PVR with 80GB HDD. I plugged it in, scanned and hey Presto, it all works fine.

It has firmware version 4.00.

I have heard that this firmware can break clone boxes, are there any clones available for the box I have, if so how can I tell if mine is one and if it is, will it be nackered shortly due to the firmware?

Cheers,

ToonVader

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

So far there are no PVR clones. Count yourself lucky :)

3. ToonVader

ToonVader Guest

Wahooo, thanks for that!

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

No problem.

5. stewin

stewin Member

Toon
    I have seen a 80GB PVR on ebay for sale a guy called stretch cable did you get yours from him? and i considered wether to buy this or get one with no hard drive and buy a 300gb one to slot in. Interested in what area you are using this and where you got it from so i can chase one up. Nice to here from scouser that there does not appear to be any clones on these at this time another bonus when there is so many of the starview boxes. Have you tried to play yours into a PC or TV or usb across from PC to copy stuff yet.
    Thanks Steve

6. ToonVader

ToonVader Guest

Steve, I got mine from CreativeSatellite (an ebay seller), I found his dealings with me quick and easy and the guy has good feedback.... even though he forgot to send the rs232 null modem cable!

I'm in the Gateshead/Newcastle area on the old Telewest network, it works great. I received the box without the firmware loaded. The firmware (which I believe is the same as the 'TheBox' firmware) was supplied on a cd. Since I didn't have the rs232 cable, I had to load the firmware via usb straight to the HDD then update the box from the HDD location. It's easy to do.

Once it was flashed, I autoscanned and picked up around 260 channels. To view the channels, auto-update must be turned on from the hidden menu which, as I recall, is accessed by pressing 'menu', go to 'parental control' press 'i' then type '2007' on the remote.

You can set a pre-record from the EPG or just record what you are watching. One thing I noticed was that when recording, I couldn't watch another channel, I kept getting the message, 'No Signal Tuner2'. I then realised that I needed to loop a coaxial arial cable from Cable 1 output to cable 2 input.... remember to do this as my remote nearly ended up in a thousand pieces through anger!

As for your last question, I don't quite understand what you mean. I have tried to load a movie from my PC to the HDD so I could watch it from the hdd (an experiment really!) in mpeg2 format..... it doesn't work! The format that the box uses has the file extension .pvr and it is also impossible to watch a movie recorded on the PVR on your PC until their is some kind of codec developed.

I hope this helps! I would definitely reccomend this box, it's the dogs! The EPG is a little slow and it takes about three hours to put the channels in order.... but hey that's part of the fun!!

Buy one now!

Now i'm off to see why my football club has been raided by cops!! Oh the joy of being a Newcastle supporter.

ToonVader

7. stewin

stewin Member

Hi thanks for the info yes i saw this guy on ebay and wondered if it was him. I know the score with the Newcastle stuff im from Middlesbrough only came to Bristol a few years back.
    Steve