1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about a dvd already burn

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by diannaa, Jan 21, 2005.

1. diannaa

diannaa Member

Hello! i want to burn a movie on a dvd ... I used nero to do it.The problem is that i can see the movie on my computer but not in any dvd player.

I have nero 5 what can i do about it>

Thank you.... I would prefer that u send me your answer to my email diannacuny@yahoo.com.

I would appreciate it.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

First please read the Forum rules: No Emails

Try upgrading Nero, but this probably isnt your problem just a suggestion.

What burn speed are you copying at?
    Are you copying on the fly?
    What Media are you using? Brand and type - or +
    Is this a movie already copied from an original? I think it is but am not sure?

3. brobear

brobear Guest

There are a lot of compatibility problems with standalone players. If it's an older player, it may not be compatible with the media. A friend of mine has a player that only plays factory movie discs, I have a Samsung that will play only the factory and +/- R discs. I have a Philips that will play just about everything including audio CDs. So, you can see the range of possibilities. Check your recording on a newer player that is compatible with the media you're recording to.

4. diannaa

diannaa Member

The movie is on my hard drive and i want to burn in on a sony DVD+RW. I don't know what u mean by copying on the fly. The player that i have is new and it plays all kind of movies cd and mp3 so the player is not the problem..... can u tell how can i burn the movie that is on my pc to a dvd the media is a sony DVD+RW and i'm using nero i will update it to the latest version,,, but i want to know how to burn it .

thanks

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Check out my guide here http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html
    Use the guide that says burning a DVD movie with Nero. If it is an Image file just Burn the image.
    Your player may play Mp3 and all that but it might not like RW disks try a R disk.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

If your player will play the RW, then RW would be listed as one of the compatible formats. If the player is anything like my Philips, it'll play RW as well as most other disc media. In fact mine will play just about anything that looks like a disc. Haven't tried sausage and pepperoni pizza yet. ;)

I'll make a couple of posts so they won't be overly long and confusing. I'll post on some information for beginners to see if you missed anything.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember.
    The steps are:
    1)Decrypt/deCSS;
    One could add edit, but that isn't always necessary.
    2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary);
    3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others. I find CopyToDVD to be a good choice as well. DVD Decrypter is a good freeware choice.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

I checked bbmayo's website for his Nero directions. First of all, you would need to upgrade to Nero Ultra, which has the DVD recording program Recode 2. I agree with bbmayo that you need to upgrade. However his directions are wrong for making backup DVDs. The Burning ROM is for burning files that have already been encoded and will fit the target media. Recode 2 is the program that encodes (compresses) movies to fit the target media.

This process requires decrypted DVD movie files or the use of a driver decrypter such as AnyDVD. Recode 2 does not decrypt DVDs, the program edits, encodes (compresses), and burns.

Encoding and Burning with Recode 2:

Open "Nero StartSmart", icon on the desktop.

Select "Photo and Video" icon in top row of Nero StartSmart window.

Below that select Recode DVD-Video.

"Nero Recode 2/My DVD Backup" window opens.

Select "Import DVD", upper right of "Nero Recode 2/My DVD Backup" window.

"Browse for Folder" window opens.

Locate movie folder and expand (double click the selection or click on the + box to the left)

Select the VIDEO_TS folder; when highlighted, click OK.

Video contents should now be listed.

You can either do some editing in the "Recode 2/My DVD Backup" window or click Next to continue.

The "Nero Recode 2/Burn Settings" window opens.

Settings are self explanatory and intuitive, just be sure to set Writing Speed to 4X or less. (High speed burns for DVD Video are more prone to write errors.)

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Sorry Brobear but I gave those directions 9for using Nero) assuming that dianna had already Ripped and reauthored the movie onto the HD. Because she said she could watch it on her computer but not her stand alone. If this is not the case then I'm sorry and yes dianna you should follow Brobears advise it is very good advise. :)

10. brobear

brobear Guest

If you prefer the freeware DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter, the virtual guides at http://www.dvdshrink.info will give you a quick start run through of the programs. Good comprehensive user guides for the freeware can be found at http://www.doom9.org .

I prefer DVDCopy3 by InterVideo. http://www.intervideo.com It is retail, but in my book, well worth what I paid for it. It encodes and burns, but needs decrypted files (same as Recode 2). I find this program to be superior to both the Recode 2 and DVD Shrink. The drawback is, it costs about as much as the Nero which is an entire recording suite.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

bbmayo,
    I'm not sure exactly what point she's at. Player apps will play ripped files without them being encoded. She states she has Nero 5. Not familiar with 5. However it seems she can't get the movie to burn. As I said, if the files are ready to be burned, then the ROM can do it. However, in that case I would use Nero Express. Works either way, but I find Express quicker for preauthored video (or decrypted video that will already fit the target media). If the files need encoded (compressed) she needs to use Recode 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005