1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about .mpg to dvd (I'll pay for an answer)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cherrypop, Jul 27, 2003.

1. cherrypop

cherrypop Member

I have a question that I haven't found on this forum anywhere (correct me if I am wrong). And if someone can help me I will even throw you $10 through paypal. Here goes...... I have downloaded some movies off the internet in .mpg format and want to burn them with my sony external dvd+- burner. I have Veritas RecordNowDX but when I choose video cd and go to add the .mpg file it tells me this.... "the file (filename here) is not in the proper video cd format and it has been skipped. It should be: NTSC 352x240 29.97 Hz or PAL 352x288 25 Hz Also the audio should be 22/44.1 KHz, Stereo.

Is there a way to convert my .mpg into that format. If not, is there another way to burn a .mpg file so that I can watch it in my dvd player? I appreciate the help.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - Thanks for the offer, but you don't need to pay anyone on this forum.

There is a way. Use a program called TMPGEnc DVD Author to convert the mpeg2 format to VOB, which will play on your DVD. You will need to follow this guide. What you do is click on add File instead of DVD video. Then follow the instructions. Its relatively easy:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/tmpgenc_dvd_author.htm

3. cherrypop

cherrypop Member

thanks for the help i have downloaded TMPGEnc DVD Author and i went to the create new project option and then added the file HH1.mpg and went to output. Then I tried to begin output and got a message saying the video resolution 480x576 cannot be used for a standard dvd. Is there a way I can change the resolution the the supported format?

Also, is it true that most dvd players only support NTSC or is that false? If it's true, how can I convert a PAL to NTSC? I appreciate any help, I am goin psycho over here.

4. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

You need to encode the Movie first with TMPGEnc Open TMPGEnc the wizard will ask you what type of formatte you would like. Choose DVD...Then take the Mpeg file you created with TMPGEnc and run it through TMPGEnc DVD Author._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Despite All My Rage - I'm Still Just A Rat In A Cage!
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2003
  5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Someone else will have to help you on the resolution aspect.

What do you mean most players only support NTSC? European players are all PAL and have support for playback of NTSC. American players don't tend to be too compatible with PAL, but vice versa is fine for us. I dont recommend converting as you will run into set backs when it comes to sounds, etc...

Check this thread out:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/38727

6. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

The only way I believe you can change the Resolusion is to re encode to DVD NTSC or PAL which ever one works in your DVD Player.. Also you normally don't have that many Problems Re-encoding Mpeg to Mpeg as say from Avi to Mpeg. :)

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You can sometimes have a load of sound problems when converting between PAL and NTSC, properly that is. Have you done it successfully before Labrat. What method did you use?

Thanks
    Chris

8. Labrat

Labrat Regular member

Try this Oriphus, just remember this can be vice-versa Pal to ntsc or ntsc to pal :)

DVDDecrypter = Strip/Rip main movie out of NTSC film/DVD

DVD2AVI = Load .VOB's then create .d2v file, Also Sound file .WAV

TMPGEnc Plus = Load .d2v & Sound file WAV and using PAL MPEG2 template. End up with a MPEG2 file

TMPGEnc DVD Author = Load MPEG2 file and wahay! DVD from NTSC to PAL !

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ah yes, cheers Labrat. However, i dont actually think that the method you describe is converting from NTSC to PAL. It works, but on a more technical level it will still be essential the same format with either 4 fps added or taken out. Is this not the case? I could be wrong ;-)