1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question before using DVD-RB

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by JRoland, Jan 21, 2009.

1. JRoland

JRoland Member

Hello,

I was trying to backup a Futurama movie I have and would like to use DVD-ReBuilder after reading all the reviews. But I'm unsure how I should rip the DVD before using DVD-RB.

In all the tutorials I saw, I noticed "DVD Decrypter" was needed. But could I use DVDFab instead? If so, should I just remove the extras I don't want at that time and choose DVD-9? Then I'm thinking I could let DVD-RB do the real compression for DVD-5.

Does that sound right?

Thanks!

2. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

Some of the guides are a little dated. DVD Decrypter is no longer updated so, yes you will want to use DVDFab. Rip the disk to DVD9 because as you said you will want to let DVDRebuilder do the compression. The basic process can be as follows:

Rip to HDD using DVDFab
    Process and remove all the unwanted extras using VobBlanker
    Encode to DVD5 using DVD Rebuilder
    Burn to disk using ImgBurn

Any questions feel free to post back :)

3. JRoland

JRoland Member

Thanks for the reply! Not to drag this out, but could I just remove the unwanted menu stuff from DVDFab directly and then go straight to DVD-RB?

The only reason I'm even asking is because DVDFab allows to remove the autoplay legal stuff, etc already and I could still leave it in DVD-9 format. Honestly though, I'm not too educated on this stuff so if VobBlanker is a better alternative...

Thanks again!

4. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

Do you have the free version (DVDFab HD Decrypter) of the paid version (DVDFab Gold or Platinum)? If you have the paid version, you can customize your backup, deleting the extras while keeping the menus. I am pretty sure it will still retain all the warnings at the start though. Only used it that way once so my memory is failing me a little.
    If you do have the paid version and decide to process your movie that way, then you should still use another program called FixVTS (also free and very simple to use). Sometimes the rips that DVDFab produces are not so "clean" and require further processing to clean up the navigation structure, etc.
    However, I feel that once you use and get the hang of VobBlanker, you will never turn back. It is a very powerful program if used in its full function, but also very simple when used to simply clean-up and remove unwanted material. There are quiet a few guides around for using it, so just do a quick search.

BTW: Once you get everything lined out, you will not regret the use of DVDRebuilder. It produces outstanding results, even under high compression.
    Also, just in case I wasn't clear, if you do decide to use VobBlanker you do not have to use FixVTS. As it will accomplish the same thing :)
    Hope I didn't confuse the issue.

5. JRoland

JRoland Member

Thanks again for the reply Ferguj. Right now, I'm just using the Trial Version of DVDFab, (comes with Gold & Platinum). Unfortunately, I received some disk read errors when trying to pull the full image yesterday. I'm going to try that again and follow up with VobBlanker before letting DVD-RB compress it all.

Hopefully it'll work this time.

Thanks!

6. JRoland

JRoland Member

Just posting a little follow-up after using the recommended software: It was great! I know you mentioned DVD-RB was pretty good, but it was almost humorous the stuff it did.

I first used DVDFab to rip a full disk ISO in DVD-9. When I tried customizing it to take some things out, I would receive a read error. Then I mounted the image file and used VobBlanker to remove some of the extras and the FBI stuff. I then took that image file and mounted it. Lastly, I used DVD-RB (CCE) to compress everything. Wow... When I went back and watched the image files after the first and second step, I just wasn't that impressed. Before I burned it, I was actually a bit bummed out. Then I mounted the DVD-RB image. Yeah, this program might be worth it's kb in gold.

Thanks again!

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I've never bothered trying to chop bits out of movies, i'm just movie only or full disc so can't comment on the disc errors you were having. However i can strongly recommend you try the awesome (and free) HC Encoder with DVD-RB, it's up to version 0.23 and it's the only encoder i use with DVD-RB. If nothing else it's another choice to fall back on.

8. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

I agree with Creaky, HC Encoder is all I use and it always works great.
    I am glad that you got it figured out and that it is working for you. Happy burning :)