1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question................ Recorder and DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joblow, Oct 24, 2003.

1. joblow

joblow Guest

Hi all,
    My friend is planning to buy an dvd recorder(no burner)? The model that is in store is an Hitachi dv-rx5000 and it says that you can use dvd-r for recording. My question is can I use any kind of brand of different speed with the recorder? The saler doesn't seems to know a thing about dvd-r media and recorders. Thx.

2. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Recorder = Writer = Burner

As u mentioned, the *recorder* will have a designation on the box that will tell u what format it writes with, as well as what type and speed of media to use in it.

If it sez it is a 4x DVD-R/RW, buy only name brand media that has that on it. Verbatim, Maxell, Memorex, Ritek etc. Media that has DVD+R/RW on it won't work in that burner, cuz the format is different.

Many experts say DVD's burnt in DVD-R/RW format are more compatible with most stand-alone DVD players. However, I've seen a lot of people remark that they've had better luck with DVD+R/RW's playing on stand-alones.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2003