1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ram problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by oilers07, Jun 16, 2007.

1. oilers07

oilers07 Member

I bought 512mb ram to upgrade to 1 gig. I started my cpu and there was no beep and black screen. After about 10 seconds a continuous beeping noise started and still black screen. I took out new ram and left just the old ram and switched to both modules and still the same problem. I might have stupidly put the ram in the wrong way or not in all the way, i smelled a bit if smoke when it booted up so hopefully it's just a simple fix. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comp specs:
    motherboard-650 GXG
    Ram-pc 2700
    pentium 4 2.2 ghz
    integrated video and audio card
    and comp brand is cicero

2. fahadhgsk

fahadhgsk Guest

Hello mate
    When you upgrade or take out RAM from a computer, it needs to recalculate the amount of RAM you have
    To fix:

1.Open up your computer case

2.Plug in the RAM, making sure it is the right way around and clipped in with the two hooks on either side of the RAM stick

3.Close the computer case

4.Plug in all the accesories you have on your pc, i.e. Power cable, printer, scanner, webcam, monitor, etc... BUT DO NOT BOOT UP

5.Turn on the computer from the switch, BUT DO NOT BOOT UP

6.Make sure that the power supply is plugged in and is connected to the computer

7.The next thing i need you to do is to wait for 10mins

8.Turn on the monitor, type in.. RAM on your keyboard

9.Boot up your pc.. either.. a load of numbers will appear, or it will stay black/blue (shud be black)

10.Leave pc on for 30mins, DO NOT TOUCH ANY ACCESORIES, LEAVE THE MONITOR ON

11.PC shud have either..turned off, or advanced into the login screen

12.WELL DONE, YOU HAVE UPGRADED YOUR RAM

3. oilers07

oilers07 Member

So i should let the computer beep for 30 min until something happens?

4. mchalmers

mchalmers Member

fahadhgsk, that is the biggest load of bull I have ever heard!

oilers07, if you can smell smoke, that's bad. Try just plugging your old RAM stick in and booting, see if it still works. If not then it sounds like you've fried something...

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

fahadhgsk has been relieved of his account, he's been talking out of his backside instead of sitting on it. The thread may now continue.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

oilers, first up ignore everything that fahad said. secondly, smelling smoke is not good.

how is the ram already in your mobo, is it one stck of 512 or 2 256 sticks, are they single or dual sided? what about the ram you are adding is it one stick of 521mb, single or dual sided?

7. oilers07

oilers07 Member

Old ram does not work, i think something is fried also.

8. oilers07

oilers07 Member

2 sticks of 512 one is dual sided, the guy at bestbuy told me i could put in another 512 that is single sided and it would be no problem. Now both sticks don't work and i get a continuous beep at start up and black screen.

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

unless your mobos chipset has a limit on the sides it should of worked fine, as the guy in bestbuy said, but thats no longer your issue.

i was going to ask you about the required voltage and timings on the new ram and if its the same as your old stuff as that could of been the reason for it not posting, but as the old stuff no longer works im not exactly sure. it sounds like your mobo has fried somthing when you have tried to fit the new stuff.

10. oilers07

oilers07 Member

I think maybe the ram slot is damaged now. Can that be replaced? or do i have to get a new motherboard?

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

im sure it can be replaced if the trouble is just in the slot but i would guess that the cost would be near, if not more than a new board.

12. oilers07

oilers07 Member

Well i'm going to take it in to be looked at anyway so i'll update you on what the problem is when i get it back.

13. SouthS1d3

SouthS1d3 Member

dude when that happend to me i just when on and got a new board cuz i knew that the mobo died so my suggestion is to get a borrowed board test the ram and cpu and if it works get a new board