1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ratDVD crashes my pc after 5 minutes!

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by deezp1, Jul 8, 2005.

1. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

OK here is my problem, I have been trying to make a ratDVD file since the damn thing was released and I keep getting the same problem. I would download the program, install it (and yes its the newest version and I do have all the coponents that are needed to get it to work WMP10 etc), use ratDVD to open up the decrypted dvd movie (using dvd decrypter), start ratting the movie, but after about 5 minutes the pc completely shuts down, not just shutting down the program, but my whole pc. very wierd! It doesnt matter what movie it is it does it to all of them.

The program sounds so cool, but I cant get it to work. can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

my pc specs:
    amd processor xp2700
    1gb kingston memory
    windows XP pro

2. freddes

freddes Guest

It's your CPU, too high temperature

3. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Do you know what the CPU temp is?

4. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

I really dont think that is the problem, because the last time I checked it was running about 90 F. I never had temp problems before, but Ill check again

5. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

OK, I checked the CPU temp, and it is very high 60C/140F. How can I reduce the temp. any suggestings?

6. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Have you Overclock anything? The only real thing you can do to reduce the temp is get a better heatsink and/or more case fans. Whats the rpms on your current heatsink?

7. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Im not overclocking anything and its about 2400 rpms

8. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

The only thing i can really think of is a new heatsink, i know that may seem like a pain since you already have one but it will more than likely help a great deal with the temp.

Edit: also give your heatsink\fan a quick clean as dust can cause high temps sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  9. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

OK, I opened the case and the cpu fan that sits over the heat sink was pretty clogged up with dust. now Im about 39C/102F so hopefully, it will stay that way. Im going to do another test run with ratDVD and see how things go.

10. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

OK, it was the fan on the heatsink that was the problem. After I cleaned it out, the hottest the cpu would get would be about 45C/112F. I made my first ratDVD without any problems. Thanks a lot!

11. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Anytime :)

12. daveetee

daveetee Guest

Having a very similar problem with the program. But it's only since I updated winavi to version 7.0beta and also installed Sonic Scenarist, I put the crash down to the files for the apps being simultaneously installed clashing.
    Am going to check out the temp of the fans etc. first. But usually if I ever had a problem with the PC overheating I normally hear an intermittent 'scratching' from the inside of the tower case.
    When you said the PC crashed at 5mins, did it blue screen crash with some message saying that the computer had been shut down to prevent it from being damaged.
    All feedback will be hugely appreciated. Likewise, when I solve the problem and find the root cause I will add a thread to this topic revealing the solution to getting the program working again.
    I even ticked the "run conversion in low priority" box (on version 0.7.1239) which still resulted in the system crashing at 15-17 minutes of creating ANY ratdvd from a ripped set of RETAIL DVD files onto the HDD.
    I even tried creating a ratdvd from a different movie incase the problem was due to a corrupt fileset for the movie.
    Dave.

13. daveetee

daveetee Guest

What is the best app to check the fan/memory temperature etc. while the PC is still running windows???
    The only way I can think to do it off the top of my head is to go into the CMOS on startup, I wanted to monitor the temperatures as the ratdvd is running and carrying out the creation of a ratdvd operation, as this is what I have been trying to do when the crash occurs.
    Thanks, Dave.

14. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Nope, it just shut down with the screen going black. no message

most motherboards come with some type of monitering program, you might want to check if it does. if not, try looking for some type of freeware app that can do it. Im sure there is one out there.