1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re: internet / networking problems (For the love of God please help me before I'm left reformatting)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by thor9978, Sep 5, 2007.

1. thor9978

thor9978 Member

Here’s the deal.

I have:
    • One Gateway (abbreviated from now on as G1 ) with:
    Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pk 2
    Intel Dual Core 6600@2.40GHz
    1.99GB of RAM
    Two 250 GB HD
    Linksys wireless PCI adapter with most current update
    from windows and linksys

• One Hewlitt Packard (abbreviated from now on as HP2) with:
    Windows XP Professional Service Pk 2
    Pentium III (not sure atm since my stepson woun’t let
    me see the comp right now)
    1GB RAM
    80GB HD
    Linksys wireless PCI adapter with most current update
    from windows and linksys

• One Verizon DSL (Westell 327w wireless router)

Here’s the problem. I have Verizon DSL and should get 3.0Mb down (and that is what I get when only one computer is logged online), but whenever both computers are logged on, neither one can access a webpage. Either it woun’t load the page at all, or it will time out. It doesn’t matter weather or not I use my wireless adapter on both, or one is wired with an Ethernet cable while the other is wireless, or both are wired, I still can’t access the internet while both are in use. I even tried switching the order in which the computers log on, (HP first and G1 second / G1 first and HP second) but I still have the same problem.

When I spoke to a few friends of mine, they told me that it could well be a virus or spyware problem, so I used the most recent version of Norton AV, Clam AV, Spybot, and Windows Live OneCare in order to utterly destroy whatever demon spawn I have on either computer, but I still had the same problem. Someone else said to boot the computers in Safe mode and then use the spyware, but nothing changed.

I have no clue what it can be and have exhausted all options that I can think of. I called
    Verizon and they told me that they will be sending me a new modem/router ASAP. Is there anything else that I can do to find out what the hell is going on?

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I would wait for the new router and see what happens.