1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Read First** Dvd Burners.. What to look for?! **

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Ripper, Mar 24, 2007.

1. ben7337

ben7337 Member

alright. I was just copying some data from a disc I had burned recently. It went at 5 mBps max and there was a good while where it was going at 500kBps-1mBps. It was very sad.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

That could also be due to the discs you were using - if they were poor quality the drive may have a hard time trying to read it.

3. ben7337

ben7337 Member

well it started making some lovely very loud noises and had some real issues installing software from a disc that came with my printer as the disc is needed to install a piece of software that I wanted.

It seems the 215D isn't coming out for a while. what would people here recommend as a specific drive? It can use either sata or ide, doesn't need to burn over 8x and i don't think any new drive go below 12x anyway, and it just needs to be known as a good drive that will last. are there any good new nec drives? I know that my parents 4 yr old computer, well 4 and a half almost has a nec 1100a or something that still works just fine and nec seems to be known for good drive, I always see people talking about their "old 3500a" or something like that.

4. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I recently purchased a Samsung SH-S203B (SATA) drive. I got it simply because I had never owned a Samsung drive before. This thing burns really well and is one of the quietest drives I've ever owned. About the only fault I can find is that I cannot do Disc Quality scans using Nero CD-DVD Speed with it.

The burn quality is very good, however, rivaling my Plextor. Fortunately, I still have 4 BenQ drives as I still haven't found their equal.

The search continues . . .

V.....

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't heard much about the NEC - they are probably still good drives.
    Here's a site you can check to see if there are any reviews - videohelp.

Check out the one catfreak recommended. I'd also recommend the LiteOn's too.

6. ben7337

ben7337 Member

catfreak the samsung sounds nice, however I wonder which program you use to verify that the data burned properly then? I never used to check on my dvd drive but now that it is dying I feel it is necessary and am realizing that the extra 3 minutes or so to verify data is probably worth it. Are there simple programs to verify that a disc burned properly?

7. catfreak

catfreak Active member

There are a number of ways . . if I really want a quality test, I use one of my other burners. If you just want to verify, the samsung will do a Nero surface test or you can use VSO Inspector and do a file test and a surface test. Or, if you use ImgBurn, you can verufy your burn.

As far as I can tell, the Samsung works with all tests except the Nero Quality Test . . .

8. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Hi Guys - great thread Ripper.

I have two Optiarc 5170A DVD Rewriters and they work great at burning single layer Verbatim-r discs at basically any speed (even 18x, although I normally use 8x)have only had a couple of fails in 2 years and those were due to the computer rather than the drive, however I have yet to successfully burn a double layer disc of either the plus or minus variety.

I have tried 3 or 4 different brands of double layer discs and some fail almost instantly and some even get to about 5% completed before failing.

What Im wondering is if anyone else has this drive and has successfully managed to burn to DL discs and if so which brand they used.

Or can anyone recommend a good SATA or IDE internal drive to use for DL burning.

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Firstly, I'm not sure on the specs of your burner but it might be that it just does not support DL burning. However, if you have not already done so, update your firmware to the latest, 1.13.

If that fails, then, for instance, a burner like this would be a cheap, decent choice. Have a look at newegg.com for Pioneer/LiteOn drives - as far as they go, most of their new ones good, as far as I'm aware.

Edit: According to this page your burner should support DL writing. Update your firmware and give it another go. If that fails, tell me:
    What speed are you trying to write at?
    What media have you tried/are using?
    What program are you using to burn DL discs?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  10. cybrspwn

cybrspwn Member

215d (sata) has been out for a lil while here in australia and my uncle has the 115d (ide). notice how pioneer use 1xx as ide and 2xx as sata for there burner names like 112d (ide), 212d (sata),115d (ide), 215d(sata) see my point.

dont know where u live but i think it should be out where u r and you could get the 112d or 212d wich came out before the 115d and 215d

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  11. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I've got a Samsung SH-S183L (IDE) that burns just as good as my Plextor 716-A and is a quieter drive to boot. I think I made the right burner choice. I just hope it lasts as long as my Plextor did...

12. Erfan223

Erfan223 Guest

I went to www.amazon.com to look for Dvd Drives and found the Lite-On 20x Super All Write LightScribe Internal DVD/Dual Layer RW Drive (LH20A1L06)...Should I get this.I read what you said and it's a SATA drive as well.I also noticed that this drive is compatible with all types of Cd's.So I was wanting to know if any of you guys have had experience with this and can tell me that its reliable.

13. anime_99

anime_99 Member

I have a PLEXTOR DVDR PX-740A burner. I want to burn CD-Rs under 12x speed but my burner won't let me do that because that is the minimum speed it will burn at and cannot go any lower than that. Also I found out that my Plextor burner can only burn 12x speed for CD-Rs minimum at some website.
    So my question is do I need to get a new DVD burner that burns CD-Rs lower than 12x speed? More specifically a burner that can burn CD-Rs at 4x to 1x. Are there any DVD burners like that? I doubt this has anything to do with the speed restriction but could it be the CD-Rs themselves have minimum speed restrictions?
    I did research on DVD burners but they never put minimum speeds, always maximum speeds.
    If anybody has any idea, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    If this the wrong place to post my question, I'm really sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

14. bratcher

bratcher Active member

15. varnull

varnull Guest

I have a cd burner which goes down to 4X.. a HP MTCR-4804TE

16. bratcher

bratcher Active member

My first CD burner was 4x & took 20 minutes to burn a full disc!! Since then I prefer to burn CD's around 24 to 32x.

17. anime_99

anime_99 Member

The reason I need a DVD burner that burns CD-Rs at low speed because my console games for example Playstation requires to burn at low speeds, 4x or lower. They won't work if its not low speed. If there are any good DVD-burners that burn CD-Rs at 4x or lower please let me know. I would like to buy a new one.

18. Trane1

Trane1 Member

This is an excellent question that I would also like to know the answer to. I already have CD-Burners that burn at 4x but would like to know if there are DVD-Burners that burn at the same rate or even lower. I like to rip my CD collection to lossless WAV or FLAC files and burn a disc. But the faster you burn audio, the lower the quality. If possible I would like to burn my disc at 1x, I couldn't care less about the time it takes.

19. varnull

varnull Guest

Theres probably a good manufacturing reason why dvd burners only go so slow on cd's..
    personally I don't think dvd burners do a very good job burning cd's.. which is why I have a few cd only burners hanging around.

20. zonedout

zonedout Member

I dont care what technology is in a dvd burner or which kind of media it can burn on I just want my CD/DVD burner to be robust and not quit working after just a few months like every other piece of crap cd/dvd burner I have owned (7 to date) and all of them quit after harldly any use other than reading some software installation disks, watching half a dozen movies and burning maybe ten discs at most.