1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read speed of my pioneer 108 is very slow

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tedbundy, Aug 20, 2004.

1. tedbundy

tedbundy Member

Just decided to buy my first DVD writer and picked up a Pioneer 108 for not too much money. However I'm having a few problems trying to get the read speed above 1.7x as displayed on DVD Decrypter. I've updated the firmware to the latest 1.06 version and I've been reading from a few sources that DMA should be selected to improve drive speeds. When I select DMA for my pioneer 108 though the drive is no longer visible in windows explorer. I tried setting it for my old Teac CD writer and it was ok. Lastly I set DMA for my Hard drive and that too was ok. Can anyone help as to why my 108 is no longer visible after selecting DMA and/ or do you have any suggestions as to how the DVD read speed can be improved. Also should I have selected DMA for my hard drive as i'm not really sure what it is doing by selecting it.
    Thanks in advance for any help coming.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Try removing the drive in device manager, then set both IDE channels to DMA. Re-boot and let Windows reinstall the drive. That should correct the DMA problem. As to the read speed problem. If you are talking about the speed while ripping a dvd to the HD, some drives are set at 2x limit for rip from the factory. My 106D was that way. You need a HACKED firmware to unlock the rip speed. Firmware from Pioneer's site won't help. Try this site. I'm not sure if a hacked firmware is available for the 108 yet. I haven't looked lately.
    http://www.rpc1.com.
    Be advised that hacked firmware will void your warranty if you run into problems with the drive.

Jerry

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Take a look at the test made on that Pioneer 108 by
    Extreme MHz -- they speak for themselves.
    http://www.extrememhz.com/dvr108-p6.shtml

Test were using Nero and all panned out to live to what Pioneer claim - The drive does write at 8X on DVD-R -- Quite impressive to say the least !!

Could it be you have a defective drive in your hand ??

But the conclusion may also point out that you may have poor media quality as it says The DVR-108 will determine what the highest write speed would be in order to maintain high quality. In fact, this drive will actually drop write speeds if it finds that it is not suitable for high quality writing.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Interesting link that reinforces that fact that the max write speeds aren't realized until the very end of the disc which explains the diminishing returns in time saved as the speeds go up.

The faster you burn the higher chance for errors and errors are most common at the outer edge of the disc so gaining speed at the part of the disc most likely to exibit errors is why I don't get the least bit excited about these faster burners.

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Agreed Neph ! -- what's a few extra sip on your coffee to ensure you got a good copy !! Speeds kills !! Ha, Ha,ha !
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2004
  6. adam777a

adam777a Member

tedbundy

I recently bought the same Pioneer DVD 108 burner, and i have also encountered the exact same problem, i turned DMA on and it seemed to raise the speed when decrypting to anywhere between 1x and 2.5x, my 2 friends bought the exact same burners and are decrypting well above 4x, whay systems specs u got?
    Im going to try a format and get XP pro installed see if that helps, otherwise im in the same boat as u. (I havnmt tryed any firmware updates)

My system spec:
    Windows 98se
    Celeron 1000mhz
    512 SDR ram
    40gb HDD
    gf2 mx 400
    Pioneer 108
    Liteon 16x DVD rom

Somebody please help, or feel free to message me

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Adam777a, Its not a good idea to post your e-mail address. You are asking for a ton of spam. Click the little figure all the way to the right of the post to edit your message. Then delete your address. Anyone can message you direct from the private message feature at the page top. Its for your protection.

Jerry