1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading DVD-R Discs in Other PC's Drives

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hammerpgh, Mar 19, 2003.

1. hammerpgh

hammerpgh Member

Hi all,
    I have a Pioneer A03 DVD burner and although it seems to work fine I am finding that whatever I burn I can only read on the drive that it was created on. If I take it to another PC with a DVD Rom drive it doesn;t recognise a disc is present.

It happens whether I am writing data or movies to the discs.

Is this a common problem? What can I do to get around this... do I need to install something on the other PC's to enable them to read these newly created DVD's.

I am a bit concerned at having to rely on just the one drive to read anything that I might backup.

Regards

Peter

PS:- The drive is flashed to the latest version.

2. malum

malum Regular member

What are you using to burn them?
    Are you closing the session for data discs?
    What media are you using?

3. hammerpgh

hammerpgh Member

I'm using Nero 5.

I have tried various types of discs, Bulkpaq, Memorex, several others that I can't recall right now as I am at work.

Sorry for the dumb question but how do I close the session. I just let Nero fire away and ejects the disc when finished so I assumed that was it.

Peter

PS:- Suggestions for an alternative burning software appreciated if Nero isn;t up to it.

4. malum

malum Regular member

Nero 5. which version? I recommend you update to the latest version anyway, it's free and much better for DVDs.

On top of that I recommend you use something else for movies (Record Now Max or Prassi Primo DVD) as they produce discs that are compatible with more far machines I never use Nero to burn movies any more.
    If you want something free then make an image of the movie (Imgtools, new version just out)and burn it with DVD decrytpter.

If you are using Nero in the wizard view switch to the standard view. I forget where the setting is to close the session but it's in there somewhere (this is for data, movies should automatically close the session but on old versions of Nero they didn't)

5. malum

malum Regular member

Forgot to add
    I wouldn't use Bulkpaq for movies, they are very patchy. Memorex I have no experience of. Ritek are the best for the money IMHO.

6. hammerpgh

hammerpgh Member

Many thanks for your assistance. Not sure of the exact version but I'll check when I get home. I'll have to look around for that closing session option too, maybe that's my problem although I would have though Nero would know to close it by default.

I have usde DVDxCopy for movies so far which seems to be ok.

If you think of anything else it would be much appreciated.

Peter

PS:- So any DVD drive should be able to read discs created on my burner without anything having to be installed?

7. malum

malum Regular member

Not any but most yes. Almost all drives are compatible with DVD-R.

DVDXcopy produces compatible movies so they should play on anything that supports DVD-R.

8. hammerpgh

hammerpgh Member

OK thanks,

I'll check out your suggestions but I am wondering whether it is a problem with my burner instead then. Although the movies I have created play ok on my DVD player. Just seems strange that they won;t play on my PC DVD drives.

Peter

9. malum

malum Regular member

It's possible that they aren't compatible I guess, how many have you tried and how old are they?

There is probably some place you could look them up

10. hammerpgh

hammerpgh Member

Well, I've tried on 2 DVD Rom drives that I have on other desktop PC's. One of them came with this PC just last August so should be fairly new. The other is a few years old so I can understand that having problems. I also tried it on the DVD \ CD-RW on my laptop which is less than a year old so again didn't expect it to have problems.

Peter