1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really bad Audio quality on my finished DVD's

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by busowner5, Nov 3, 2004.

1. busowner5

busowner5 Member

I’ve been working on creating DVD compilations of our ‘Home Movies’ …and have been running into some really bad sound (audio) problems on the finished disc.

When I play it back on our Kenwood DVD player….the video is fine, but the audio sounds awful.
    (Basically, lots of hissing and other bad background sound issues.)

The ‘Home’ movies are on our Canon 8mm camcorder, which I’m capturing through ATI’s All-In-Wonder 9600 graphics card ….and processing them with InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2 software/program.

When I’m working in WinDVD creator the Audio sounds mostly fine…but I do notice a background hissing sound coming out of my speakers.
    Yesterday , I moved ATI’s composite video-in capture cord to different locations around my PC to see if I could get less of a hissing sound.
    And that worked for a little while …but the hissing would start up again.
    I’m wondering is it possible that I’m getting some sort of feedback problem from something else that’s causing the problem.

When I use ATI’s TV function, The Audio/Video is perfect…great sound and no hissing.

I built the computer myself and haven’t run into any bad audio issues other than this …music CD’s & DVD movies sound fine…the backup DVD’s I’ve made using DVD Decrypter & DVD Shrink sound and look great…

Dose anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this sort of problem?

Should I turn off my speakers when I use WinDVD ?

Could my U.S Robotic’s modem be causing this feedback problem?

Thank for any help anyone can give me with this….
    Michael

2. busowner5

busowner5 Member

I forgot to mention...when I plug our Canon Camcorder into our TV , I dont run into any hissing or other background sound problems.
    The audio sounds great.
    Michael

3. krp

krp Member

you don't mention if your original captured file is ok or not, so check it. if it's ok then it's a problem with your encoding software. If not it's hardware problem. check that your audio in is conected to your "line-in" input in your sound card,and not "mike-in". If thats does not solve the problem, the it could be bad conections or bad cables.

4. busowner5

busowner5 Member

Thanks for the Feedback Krp….
    The captured files sound bad too (lots of hissing etc.)

The way these ATI Graphic’s Cards work …is there’s a regular coaxial connector for the TV signal in…a connector for the monitor …and…
    A connection that looks very similar to an S-Cable connection on a DVD or VCR player.
    This connection is where you plug-in ATI’s converter cord for capturing video off your camcorder, VCR etc.

Basically …at one end of this cord is a place to connect the composite Video & Audio cords from different devices…at the other end is an S-cable looking connection that plugs into the Graphic’s card.

According to ATI’s directions I have all the connections where they should be…so I wonder if this is some form of shielding problem.

I checked ATI’s online help files and they don’t have any info on what I’m running into here.
    I’d like to figure this out. The TV-IN option is cool and all that …but the primary reason I installed this card was to be able to edit and produce our own DVD’s. I’d hate to have to go back to using Dazzle again…
    Thanks…
    Michael