1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent prob with backup's pausing and stopping

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by duttch, Apr 12, 2005.

1. duttch

duttch Member

Hi guys - only been backing up for about a year now - and i thought i had it all sorted? until recently - I use dvdshrink3.2 and just updated to the new dvd decrypter 3.5.4.0 yesterday

I haven't ran into any real probs until about 1-2weeks ago where i found my back up movies would pause during play and then stop?i couldnt even skip that chapter......

I've check the film on my hard drive and dvdshrink has backed it up ok - without any pausing,skipping or scammbled pic. When i do my backup again it tends to work fine (so far)

I thought it maybe my screensaver/power management cutting in during backing up process - turned this off and it still played up on another movie i backed up after i did this. I did the movie again and it worked fine.

I have a sony dru720 dual layer burner
    use BENQ blank dvd's (are these anygood)?
    I do use dual layer verbatim only for movies i really like($$$), and have noticed that on one movie that the pic gets alittle scrammble for about 1 sec, i have the same prob using BENQ on 1-2 dvd's but the pic tends to be scammble alot more and even skips to the next chapter.......I redo the movie using the same file/software and it works out fine???

I'm thinking that maybe the disc (BENQ)

any ideas lads!!!
    (soz for writting a novel here)

just before i go - backing up robocop-directors cut onto a 120min disk, (dvdshrink) the movie folder has 3 diff movie files -
    1 being the normal cut movie
    the other 2 showing the director's cut

these two files start the movie about 3-4 chapters into the movie - missing the begining of the film -as well as being diff size files(anyone backed directors cut)
    I ended up just burning to a dual layer for myself - however the old man wants a backup??)

thanks...........

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

duttch,
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the blank media you are using is the culprit.
    Have you tried using DVDDecrypter to do the D/L disks. Sounds like the problem there might be at the layer break.
    I would pass on the BenQ disks and see if you can find some Ty Yudens, Verbatim or any other good brand to use to do the burn.

3. duttch

duttch Member

thanks car.mike

I used dvd shrink just to record the movie to by hard drive (try to get as little compression as possiable) and then i use decrypter to burn to dvd disk - which i mainly use BENQ 4.7 dvd disks for this process......

i do prefer dvd decrypter for copying and burning, but dvd shrink to edit/paste the movie onto a 4.7 disk

i do just use decrypter for dvd's that fit straight on a 4.7 (not very many are as small as that)But i but when i do use a dual layer disk (verbatim) which i seems to work fine - expect on one backup where a small part of the screen is scrambled for a sec!!!!!!!!!

are TDK blank dvd's ok?????besides verbatim (i only buy DualLayer disks) wots another decent balank disk to use.............

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

For D/L disks there is not much out there now. The best for now are the Verbatims. You might try the Riteks