1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reencoding an .avi that plays pixelated on a DVP642

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Balaam, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

How do I do this? Some avi files are unwatchable on my DVp642 because they are heavily pixelated, while they look fine on my PC. I can compare the pixelated ones to ones that play fine on my 642, but I don't know how to go about fixing them. Until now, I haven't had any reason to get into encoding. But now's the time, so please tell me what proggies will get this done easily and quickly. TIA

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

maybe you did a 1 pass encode ?
    try 1 pass but constant quality.
    or 2 pass

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Well, I'm gonna need a little more help then that. I didn't make these files. So hopefully someone who has a dvp642 and has gonna through this will tell me how they fixed theirs.

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

what resolution ?
    maybe cause the video is already in low quality and upsized.
    that could be it.

5. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

I also have a DVP642 and I've noticed on Some Xvid and Divx files that when they 1st load the come up all pixelated if I press the system Menu button on the remote twice it brings me back to the film and the pixelation is no more.... Strange but it works...

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

@shiroh:
    Here is the info that is displayed by gspot for the pixelated avi:

x:y - 512x288 (1.78:1) [=16:9]
    bitrate - 711 kb/s
    FPS - 25.000
    Qf - 0.193 bits/pixel

Here's info for a vid that plays fine on my dvp642:

x:y - 624x352 (1.77:1) [=39:22]
    bitrate - 843 kb/s
    FPS - 23.976
    Qf - 0.160 bits/pixel

So, I'm getting the feeling that theres nothing I can do to improve this files, if the initial quality is so low. Am I right?

@tmfloria:
    I use that trick often for audio problems, but I didn't even think to try it for this. And it actually worked for one of the two avi's I've had a chance to try it with, so thanks for the suggestion. It's not fool proof, but it's better then nothing.

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i'm not sure how dvp642 resize it. but for a regular dvd, usually it only resize horizontally, 480x480 will look like a regular dvd for a normal tube tv.
    vcd is 352x240, so it will resize both ways up & down. so the blocks that already look awful in orinal res will look more horrible.

horizontal resize is good.

so you could upsize it before encoding using lanczos algorithm or something.

by any chance are you watching this on a HDTV ? cause that will look horrid from such a source